"Big girl" needing advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

silvernotch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
hey everyone. I am signed up to get my c-card in April and I need some advice on equipment based on my stature. I'm 6'0 a DD and around 230lbs or more. I am worried about not being able to find wetsuits or BC's that'll fit me right without going custom. I'd also like to buy some pieces so I don't have to worry about not finding rentals that'll fit. I've read some threads here on the same issue but all the women that were asking were around 5'0-5'5 which is significantly shorter than me. I'm not short and heavy, I'm more amazon-ish.

is anyone else here around my size that can maybe help me out? I'd appreciate any input

thanks

The fit of a BC could be problematic, but a back plate and wing is pretty much infintiely adjustable and alternatively an XXL Dive Rite Transpac harness should work fine.

Mens wetsuits are available in stock sizes up to 3XL, while sadly womens suits tend to have fewer options on the upper end of the real world womens size range. Depending on how you are shaped, a mens suit may or may not work well for you. In some cases, you may also find a top and bottom of different sizes works and you can usually special order such a set from the company at basically no extra cost.

It also depends on how thick the wet suit needs to be and what it is made out of. A 3mm Henderson Hyperstretch for example is stretchy enough to conform to some extra curves, while a 7mm wet suit or regular neoprene may not allow as much lattitude.

A drysuit is also an option. The 2XL/3XL Whites Fuson for example will fit well over a vary wide range of body shapes and sizes.

Another good option for BCDs is the Zeagle line.

They have been very flexible in their fit and are known for a wide range of sizes. I would suggest that you first look at the Zena, as it is designed specifically for women.

I can't offer much in the way of wet suit advice, but when you get to considering a dry suit, you'll find your size/shape won't be an issue. I'm considering putting my wife into one because she doesn't fit traditional wet suit sizes.

Actually, Zeagle also has the LaZer and Ranger W that are built for women. I dive a Zena (D cup) and find it to be incredibly comfortable as it has 6 points of adjustment and no cumberbun (I hate cumberbuns). On the other hand, I find a Backplate/Wing configuration to be very uncomfortable and wouldn't dive one if it were a gift.

Bottom line: it is so important for you to try before you buy. Find what fits you best and go for it, regardless of what is "recommended" by anyone else.

As far as wetsuits are concerned, check out stretchy ones like Pinnacle Elastaprene, Henderson Hyperstretch, etc. If those don't work for you, you can get a custom one from somewhere like Liquidfit.

Thanks so much DiveMaven for telling me about LiquidFit custom wetsuits. I've been searching all over the internet. I've sent an e-mail to them to see what the price range is to see if it's even affordable.

These days I am only a warm water diver and I can dive 3 days and not get cold but I am being told for a 7-day dive holiday I would need a wetsuit for doing 3 dives a day for 5-6 days. It supposedly catches up with you. :shocked2:

Thanks again
Betty

I'm with DAA -- I'd recommend a backplate and harness for a BC. First off, it's a great system for anybody, and second, it's ideal for folks like you and me who are at the far ends of the bell-shaped curve in terms of size. And because there is nothing across your chest, bust size is not an issue.

Try on some men's Hyperstretch wetsuit's and BCD to get you through your OW cert and get your card.
If you decide that you want to invest in your own gear after consider a custom wetsuit.
Don't let the label "mens" model discourage you many bigger women use "mens" BCD. If it fits well and trims well in the water that is all that counts. My wife is 5'8" and wears a large men's back inflator jacket after trying on a number of BC that just did work for her.
As has been mentioned a BP&W can be configured for you however it is my feeling that as a beginner it's ability to be custom configured adds a number of setup variables that you may not be ready to deal with. If you have an experienced BP&W diver that is willing to help you through the learning curve then I would give it more consideration otherwise is presents choices of harness, weight configurations, wing size and shape and lift capacity. This is before you even get in the water and adjust trim.

I can dive 3 days and not get cold but I am being told for a 7-day dive holiday I would need a wetsuit for doing 3 dives a day for 5-6 days. It supposedly catches up with you. :shocked2:
I've heard this many times as well; I've never found it to be true.

Thanks so much DiveMaven for telling me about LiquidFit custom wetsuits. I've been searching all over the internet. I've sent an e-mail to them to see what the price range is to see if it's even affordable.

These days I am only a warm water diver and I can dive 3 days and not get cold but I am being told for a 7-day dive holiday I would need a wetsuit for doing 3 dives a day for 5-6 days. It supposedly catches up with you. :shocked2:

Thanks again
Betty

Yes, it absolutely does. Doing a few dives per day over 3 days is vastly different than 3-5 dives per day for 7 days. And the exposure protection depends on when & where you will be diving.

For example, diving in the Red Sea in March meant my drysuit with a 1mm cap when the others were wearing 5-7mm of neoprene with full neo hoods. (And giving me the evil eye by the end of the 2nd day!) However, doing Palau in June it was a full 3mm wetsuit plus a 1mm vest.

Just food for thought,

My wife dives a Zeagle Zena and she is a Large D and she says its the most comfortable she has worn in the womens line of BC's

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom