Big Fish Attack in Pompano!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivesWithTurtle:
What the hell kind of fish are y'all raising down in Pompano!

I was at the safety stop coming up from the Sea Emperor today and a pair of Great White Remoras were also doing their stops on the line. Before I even saw them, one of them sunk his teeth into my earlobe and gave a damned hard shake. Drew a fair amount of blood.

This may not be a consolation, but you're not the first one. After dealing with remoras I believe THEY are the cause of violent behaviour in sharks. The little ones are cute and fun to play with, but once they get up in size become a complete PITA.

Also in the Pompano area, a couple of months ago two of this creatures decided to tag along with my husband and I. We were doing a relaxed drift dive (no spearing that day). The buggers started their attaching nonsense, suddenly one went up my husband's shorts. I know is not funny but to see his "remora removal" technique was hilarious. Anyway, fortunately the creature didn't damage any valuables, but few minutes later he got his ear bitten very hard. He lost enough blood to create a green cloud around him.

After inspection top side, I notice there was no actual teeth marks, just a bunch of parallel cuts. My husband described the bite as a "hold and shake" type of thing, not terribly painful but quite unpleasent.

His regulator has a side exhaust. The side where the bubbles go out is the one that got bitten. The stupid fish were all over us, I guess one was by his shoulder/neck/ear area when he exhaled and the bubbles hitting the ear gave the "bite me" message.

I also once had a remora try to attach to my leg. It was not fun!!

Since then, I wear a full wetsuit.

Ana:
After inspection top side, I notice there was no actual teeth marks, just a bunch of parallel cuts. My husband described the bite as a "hold and shake" type of thing, not terribly painful but quite unpleasent.
Yep, same marks, same fish. The 7 and a half footer. It's a man-eater, I tell ya. I'm goin' after 'im and I'm gonna git 'im.

Not painful!?!? Unpleasant?!?! I was crying for hours until I got to Rush Limbaugh's house and he gave me some of those good painkillers.

BTW, I've enjoyed all of the responses, and I thank you all for your OH, SO KIND CONCERN for my health and well-being. (Especially you, Doc... Damsel Fish, pfff!) :wink:

Gabe.. try taking a 12G power head. That'll make a lil dent on ye ole remora! Oh... be sure to test it on that Lookdown thats 6' in diameter and about 3" thick.. you want to make sure your blast technique is good!

CBulla:
Gabe.. try taking a 12G power head. That'll make a lil dent on ye ole remora! Oh... be sure to test it on that Lookdown thats 6' in diameter and about 3" thick.. you want to make sure your blast technique is good!
Thanks for the suggestion. Hey, I've never shot at anything with anything before, above or below the surface. Wanna come with me?

DivesWithTurtle:
What the hell kind of fish are y'all raising down in Pompano!

I was at the safety stop coming up from the Sea Emperor today and a pair of Great White Remoras were also doing their stops on the line. Before I even saw them, one of them sunk his teeth into my earlobe and gave a damned hard shake. Drew a fair amount of blood.

Just before the son-of-a-****** nailed me, I thought I heard one saying to the other, "Remember Mike Tyson. Watch this."

From now on, I'm going to stick to Jupiter, WPB, and Boynton, where the fish have manners!

My buddy got a picture of that remora, and although I don't hunt, I may go down to Pompano one more time, this time with a spear gun. I've got that fish's number. Maybe I'll bring a power-head... :comeandge

Yeech!

I dove the Sea Emperor yesterday at around 11:30 AM or so... As we were gearing up there was a big***** remora circling my boat - could have been 2 maybe. I was joking with my girlfriend that we might get "attacked", or more likely have it attach to one of us. I was just joking, but I have heard of it happening. She did not appreciate my sense of humor.

When we entered the water, we didn't see it anywhere... we did the dive and the goliath grouper on the wreck immediately made me forget about the remora. We finished the dive, surfaced, got back on the boat, and there is the remora circling the boat again... we never saw it while in the water. I guess we got lucky!

I better make sure my girlfriend doesn't see this thread. :wink:

JoeFL:
Yeech!

I dove the Sea Emperor yesterday at around 11:30 AM or so... As we were gearing up there was a big***** remora circling my boat - could have been 2 maybe. ...
See, I told you all it was at least 8 feet!

JoeFL:
... When we entered the water, we didn't see it anywhere...
... We finished the dive, surfaced, got back on the boat, and there is the remora circling the boat again... we never saw it while in the water. I guess we got lucky!
SURE, it already had its breakfast! Try going down about 10:00 next time.

DivesWithTurtle:
Thanks for the suggestion. Hey, I've never shot at anything with anything before, above or below the surface. Wanna come with me?
OK... you just asked a lil ole redneck FL Cracker to shoot something.. the tanks are already being loaded in the car, the spear gun is in the car.... inquiring about gaining access to a powerhead just to make some chum! Do I wana come :rofl2: surely you must be implying some sort of jest :D

CBulla:
OK... you just asked a lil ole redneck FL Cracker to shoot something.. the tanks are already being loaded in the car, the spear gun is in the car.... inquiring about gaining access to a powerhead just to make some chum! Do I wana come :rofl2: surely you must be implying some sort of jest :D

Well, I'm the buddy that almost lost my whole arm to that 10ft remora, probably would have been more concerned if I wasn't laughing my *** off at him trying to punch the thing. Almost swallowed his hand it did! Got video of those beasts even.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom