Big Fish Attack in Pompano!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivesWithTurtles

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What the hell kind of fish are y'all raising down in Pompano!

I was at the safety stop coming up from the Sea Emperor today and a pair of Great White Remoras were also doing their stops on the line. Before I even saw them, one of them sunk his teeth into my earlobe and gave a damned hard shake. Drew a fair amount of blood.

Just before the son-of-a-****** nailed me, I thought I heard one saying to the other, "Remember Mike Tyson. Watch this."

From now on, I'm going to stick to Jupiter, WPB, and Boynton, where the fish have manners!

My buddy got a picture of that remora, and although I don't hunt, I may go down to Pompano one more time, this time with a spear gun. I've got that fish's number. Maybe I'll bring a power-head... :comeandge

That was but an amorous nibble.

I do feel your pain. I bear the scar from a damsel fish. YOUCH!

NetDoc:
That was but an amorous nibble.

I do feel your pain. I bear the scar from a damsel fish. YOUCH!

Thanks for your sympathy, but...

A damsel fish? 4-6 inches, maybe! This was 6 foot killer remora! With a foot long mouth, three inch teeth, and 400 lbs. of bite pressure. I'll swear to it! :wink:

CBulla:
Interesting.. I've had the Remora checking me out while on safety there to. It bit you, eh?
Out of the blue. The sucker nailed me.

My buddy above and the person below were trying to pet the damned things after the cold-blooded attack. I was waiting to see someone loose an arm to these killers. :wink:

I've never heard of a remora biting someone. I went hook and lining yesterday, and landed a barracuda that had a tiny one (around 3"). If I had known how fond of you they are, I would have sent him to you instead of throwing him back :).

DivesWithTurtle:
Out of the blue. The sucker nailed me.

My buddy above and the person below were trying to pet the damned things after the cold-blooded attack. I was waiting to see someone loose an arm to these killers. :wink:

they were probably just trying to retrieve your ear for you. :D

It's the latest in designer eco-jewlery, remora ear rings. It's just unfortunate that you didn't appreciate that this remora was trying to help you become a fashion trend setter. :wink: :)

4-6 inches???

4-6 inches???

I didn't say DAINTY Damsel fish now did I? She was HUGE... 19 or 12 feet at least, and nearly took my whole head in her mouth! I am scarred for life and you say it was only 4-6 inches. :D OK, Ok... she was at least ten inches across. :D

If damsel fish were as big as sharks, sharks would run in fear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom