Big feet.. No big fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mwhities

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm looking to replace my Volos with a pair of Jets or Turtles. I had called LP and they stated the Jets XL would be to small and the XXL would be to big. I wear a 3mm Akona zip boot and I currently wear a XXL Volo fins.

What might anyone recommend for my size 16 feet? After diving in Cozumel this last week, I could barely fin back into a small current without getting tired. I also see that my Volos "bend" so much, it looks like the tip of the fin will touch my heal.

I did see a pair of DiveRite fins that a couple was wearing on my Cozumel dive. Might these be as good or better than the Jets or Turtles?

Looking to purchase soon,

Thanks.

Michael

Turtles should do it. Check out Kidspot's fin comparison page. He did a great job of matching up various fin / boot size combinations.

I dove XXL jets with a size 12 and an oversized boot. I doubt they'd be too small. XL jets are probably too small. Turtles are bigger, and might work, but with a size 16, XXL jets would be my first recommendation.

With a size 16 you should fit right into an XXL - however you "might" have to change your boot to one with a thicker sole. For comparison size 14 converse are very "floppy" inside the XXL but my size 13 jungle boot fits just perfectly.

I wear a 7mil lug sole wetboot and get a decent fit in Jets (still a little loose, but acceptable)

Personally I'd try them and find boots that fit well, you'll find you have an easier time than most if you can find boots that large (I have a hard time finding companies that even make a 14 :( )

Aloha, Tim

P.S. here's the page mentioned above http://www.kidspot.org/personal/scuba

If you dont mind split fins... try the Aeris velocity split fins. They come in a size xl/xxl...

www.divers-supply.com

Hi. If the Jets or Turtles don't fit,the largest foot size I know is XXXL for certain models of Forcefins - they are meant to accomodate larger drysuit booties, you might want to check them out. I like mine with bungee straps over the original straps. Good luck!
Dive safely.

Hi,

I would also recommend the XXL jet fins. Maybe if you used a 5mm boot or a style with a thicker sole they wouldn't move around so much inside the foot pocket.

I use the Scubapro twin jet fins with spring heels. After I finally switched to spring heels (don't know why it took me so long), I do not have any movement inside the fin. Everything stays in place.

Tina
Scuba Sciences, Inc.

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions.

I have been thinking of getting thicker soled boots anyways. So I am going to go ahead and purchase the XXL Jets and see how it works with my current boots. Either way, I'm looking to get new boots, so I'll definitely have it covered.

Thank you all again.

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom