Big Corn Island, Nicuragua - Any info appreciated

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rambo2

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I will be going to Big Corn Island off the east coast of Nicuragua in about a month with my non-diving gf. Any recommendations for lodging would be much appreciated (also lodging on Little Corn if you know someplace great). Any other info about the islands from anyone who's been there would also be immensely helpful. As long as the price point is under $100 I am fine, and I am not particularly fond of AI.
Thanks to all.
Dave

I'm just back from a week on Little Corn. Only spent one night on Big Corn, on the night before the morning flight out, so didn't dive from there. We stayed at the Sunrise Hotel on Big Corn which was clean and well run by 3rd world standards. There are no major resorts on the islands (well, there's a wanna be on Little but it's expensive and remote and I don't know anything about it). We stayed at Casa Iguana in Little Corn and dove with Dive Little Corn, the dive shop associated with Casa Iguana. If I went back I'd probably try something different, maybe Little Corn Beach & Bungalow -- nothing wrong with Casa Iguana, just thought Beach and Bungalow looked a little nicer. Note that these are pretty rustic -- everything on the islands are pretty rustic -- this ain't Club Med -- I like it, but be prepared -- no AC, electricity most of the time, spotty wifi and cell coverage, etc. I did not enjoy the little I saw of Big Corn -- just nothing appealing to me about it, but thought Little Corn was great: a beautiful, relaxing, low-key place -- no road, no cars, island time all the time -- I took of my shoes and watch and the only time I had to check the time was to make the dive boat. The diving was solid reef diving, nothing particularly outstanding about it, marginally better than Florida reef diving, but then we didn't get to go out to Blowing Rock because of high seas, and Blowing Rock is supposed to be the spectacular dive in the area. Lots of great seafood, of course. I'd recommend as little time as possible on Big Corn and hop on over to Little and spend your time there.

Thank you so much for the info. Indeed I am aware of the primitive nature of Corn and I welcome it. Seemed pretty easy to decide on Little Corn over Big from your comments and what little else I found. Little Corn B and B was full. Am now looking at Hotel Las Delfine and Carlito's (at the recommendation of Little Corn B&B. If you have a final word on accommodations I would like to hear it. Different sides of the island, but Delfine looks more comfortable. I agree it is all rustic but some are more rustic than others. There are several days when RELIABLE internet will be essential to my business. I will wait to see the situation on the island but would not be surprised if I had to go back to the mainland for a few days for that. I will assume you flew in. Did you have any problem with luggage, that is clothes and a bag of dive gear? Some of the worst advance info I have been able to get says the airline in sucks. Part of this kind of travel dictates that whatever happens, happens or que sera. I welcome that and hope for the best. My girlfriend is from Nicaragua and she knows I like primitive. How did you come to pick corn as a destination?

I've been to LCI 3x usually skip BC, only advantage to BCI is closeness to Blowing Rock which is a pretty cool site. Blowing Rock used to be spectacular then some idiot spearfisher people took most of the big fish. It used to have incredible sized snappers etc, reaching almost 24', but again last time I was there the f***head spearfishers had taken em all. It still can be a pretty cool site nice topography and all.
LCI is a totally chill, mostly a backpacker type place. I've always stayed at Casa Iguana, but have a hard time recommending it as the owner is a wealthy $$$ grubbing type( ie. investment banker) who has a reputation for not paying her employees. The employee's can be great the food can be really good there, yes it's rustic but not shabby. Little Corn B&B is also a choice, good food, but the bungalows are poorly designed, and the owner can be a bit of a control freak. Delfines is in town, which can be nice but Carlitos has very rustic cabanas on the beach for cheap there are also other options. If you want rustic it's there. LCI is probably one of the last places you can get a cheap cabana on the beach in the Caribbean.
The diving can vary from so-so to nice, but hell it's cheap and easy. Again Dive Little Corn is owned by the before mentioned investment banker. The boat captains are great and the staff when I was there are still my friends.The other dive shop is well run so I would go with them. The diving can be weather specific, if the wind is blowing you can be stuck with one side of the island. But hey looks like your just starting out diving so hell go for it. Try the food all over the island, John at Tranquillo runs a great cafe, he should open a dive shop as he really knows how to run a business right, down to treating the employee's like humans not as cattle.
The net usually works ok but don't expect blazing fast speed. La Costena can be chaotic but hell I've flown in jumped on the puddle jumper and it's way better than the slow boat.
I have other posts relating to LCI here if you want to know more.
Have fun!

Re taking dive gear on La Costena airline: I was anxious about it; La Costena says 1 30 lb checked bag and one 'personal item' like a book or pair of binoculars or computer. Maria at Casa Iguana told me that since I was coming at a busy time (Christmas) that La Costena would be enforcing this restriction. The do say you can take scuba gear as an extra bag, paying $1.30/lb I think, but that this would be 'standby', thus no promise it would go on the plane. I had planned to put my clothes and bulky gear (BC, fins, wetsuit) in the checked bag and heavy small stuff (regs, lights) in my small personal item bag and hope I got lucky.

Then I noted that my flight from the US was getting in at 1 pm and the flight to Big Corn was leaving at 2 and that La Costena wanted you to check in an hour-and-a-half before flight time, another thing that discussion boards said was sometimes enforced, sometimes not. So it seemed to me to be a chance that I might not make the connection, and that having a checked bag from the US that I had to retrieve in Managua would make it even less likely. So I ended up just bringing a carry-on bag with wetsuit, mask, computer, and a few lights for night diving.

Turns out bringing my gear would have been no problem. Clearing immigration was a slow process -- the agents enter a lot of info by hunt-and-peck typing, so there was plenty of time for a checked by to get to baggage claim while clearing immigration. La Costena was very relaxed, and while you couldn't carry on a regular sized carry on bag, people we bringing on sizable 'personal item' bags -- plenty big for regs and misc heavy hear. This isn't United or Delta. The La Costena terminal isn't in the main terminal, it's in a small building off to the side. We'd booked ahead online but no print your boarding pass at home -- arrived at the desk and our names were written on a clipboard and we were given reusable laminated plastic numbered boarding cards. We it got to be time to leave, probably closer to 3 than 2, they took the first 40 or so passengers (our numbers were in the 60s), boarded them on the plane, and took off, leaving us in the terminal with no agent or anyone to ask questions to. The anglos in the crowd looked nervous; the locals not at all. In about half an hour or so the rest of us were bundled out on to the runway and on to another plane and off we went.

So could have taken all my own gear. It wasn't terrible not taking it though; there was plenty of rental gear on the island. The diving itself was just OK, not really all that much better than the local diving here in Florida, the Jupiter/West palm drifts and the Keys reefs -- we didn't get to go to Blowing Rock because of the winds and probably only got to see about 8 different sites in the 10 dives we did. But the cost wasn't bad -- these are single-tank boat dives at about $30/each, with 3/day possible plus a potential night dive if there's enough interest. The DMs are great, and Dive Little Corn is a well run outfit once you're there. Good luck with contact prior to arrival -- Maria at Casa Iguana told us that because we were there at a busy time reservations were necessary for the dives, but I never got acknowledgements or either my room reservation or dive reservations prior to arriving in spite of probably a dozen e-mails over the 6 - 8 weeks before arriving -- just no response. Everything worked out fine; just had to be less American Anxious and more Island Time.

The 'town' side of the island is the sheltered side which means much less wind, while the other side (with Casa Iguanga and Island B&B) is on the windy side. Being on the windy side is a good thing -- much cooler and less sticky, and it's still just a 10 minute walk from town. I didn't get cell service on the windward side, but Casa Iguana's internet was up most of the time, and I did get cell service on the town site (Movistar, which worked with my T-Mobile plan, that includes data (slow)), so I could always do e-mail.

Have you dived both Utila and Corn? How would you compare the diving between the two?

Glad to see this topic come up. My wife is from Nicaragua and I have traveled there many times. Neither of us have been to the Atlantic side but will do so the next time we go down there for some diving. So what is the recommendation for nicest beach front lodging?

---------- Post added February 18th, 2015 at 03:04 PM ----------

Re taking dive gear on La Costena airline: I was anxious about it; La Costena says 1 30 lb checked bag and one 'personal item' like a book or pair of binoculars or computer. Maria at Casa Iguana told me that since I was coming at a busy time (Christmas) that La Costena would be enforcing this restriction. The do say you can take scuba gear as an extra bag, paying $1.30/lb I think, but that this would be 'standby', thus no promise it would go on the plane. I had planned to put my clothes and bulky gear (BC, fins, wetsuit) in the checked bag and heavy small stuff (regs, lights) in my small personal item bag and hope I got lucky.

Then I noted that my flight from the US was getting in at 1 pm and the flight to Big Corn was leaving at 2 and that La Costena wanted you to check in an hour-and-a-half before flight time, another thing that discussion boards said was sometimes enforced, sometimes not. So it seemed to me to be a chance that I might not make the connection, and that having a checked bag from the US that I had to retrieve in Managua would make it even less likely. So I ended up just bringing a carry-on bag with wetsuit, mask, computer, and a few lights for night diving.

Turns out bringing my gear would have been no problem. Clearing immigration was a slow process -- the agents enter a lot of info by hunt-and-peck typing, so there was plenty of time for a checked by to get to baggage claim while clearing immigration. La Costena was very relaxed, and while you couldn't carry on a regular sized carry on bag, people we bringing on sizable 'personal item' bags -- plenty big for regs and misc heavy hear. This isn't United or Delta. The La Costena terminal isn't in the main terminal, it's in a small building off to the side. We'd booked ahead online but no print your boarding pass at home -- arrived at the desk and our names were written on a clipboard and we were given reusable laminated plastic numbered boarding cards. We it got to be time to leave, probably closer to 3 than 2, they took the first 40 or so passengers (our numbers were in the 60s), boarded them on the plane, and took off, leaving us in the terminal with no agent or anyone to ask questions to. The anglos in the crowd looked nervous; the locals not at all. In about half an hour or so the rest of us were bundled out on to the runway and on to another plane and off we went.

So could have taken all my own gear. It wasn't terrible not taking it though; there was plenty of rental gear on the island. The diving itself was just OK, not really all that much better than the local diving here in Florida, the Jupiter/West palm drifts and the Keys reefs -- we didn't get to go to Blowing Rock because of the winds and probably only got to see about 8 different sites in the 10 dives we did. But the cost wasn't bad -- these are single-tank boat dives at about $30/each, with 3/day possible plus a potential night dive if there's enough interest. The DMs are great, and Dive Little Corn is a well run outfit once you're there. Good luck with contact prior to arrival -- Maria at Casa Iguana told us that because we were there at a busy time reservations were necessary for the dives, but I never got acknowledgements or either my room reservation or dive reservations prior to arriving in spite of probably a dozen e-mails over the 6 - 8 weeks before arriving -- just no response. Everything worked out fine; just had to be less American Anxious and more Island Time.

The 'town' side of the island is the sheltered side which means much less wind, while the other side (with Casa Iguanga and Island B&B) is on the windy side. Being on the windy side is a good thing -- much cooler and less sticky, and it's still just a 10 minute walk from town. I didn't get cell service on the windward side, but Casa Iguana's internet was up most of the time, and I did get cell service on the town site (Movistar, which worked with my T-Mobile plan, that includes data (slow)), so I could always do e-mail.
So what can a person bring with them when taking the puddle jumper out to the east from Managua? We would not be traveling during busy season, maybe this Sept. I can pack pretty light if need be but I do haul a little bit of camera gear plus our dive gear (mask, fins, reg, BC, etc.) The wife on the other hand will take some convincing. :)

---------- Post added February 18th, 2015 at 03:14 PM ----------

I've been to LCI 3x usually skip BC, only advantage to BCI is closeness to Blowing Rock which is a pretty cool site. Blowing Rock used to be spectacular then some idiot spearfisher people took most of the big fish. It used to have incredible sized snappers etc, reaching almost 24', but again last time I was there the f***head spearfishers had taken em all. It still can be a pretty cool site nice topography and all.
LCI is a totally chill, mostly a backpacker type place. I've always stayed at Casa Iguana, but have a hard time recommending it as the owner is a wealthy $$$ grubbing type( ie. investment banker) who has a reputation for not paying her employees. The employee's can be great the food can be really good there, yes it's rustic but not shabby. Little Corn B&B is also a choice, good food, but the bungalows are poorly designed, and the owner can be a bit of a control freak. Delfines is in town, which can be nice but Carlitos has very rustic cabanas on the beach for cheap there are also other options. If you want rustic it's there. LCI is probably one of the last places you can get a cheap cabana on the beach in the Caribbean.
The diving can vary from so-so to nice, but hell it's cheap and easy. Again Dive Little Corn is owned by the before mentioned investment banker. The boat captains are great and the staff when I was there are still my friends.The other dive shop is well run so I would go with them. The diving can be weather specific, if the wind is blowing you can be stuck with one side of the island. But hey looks like your just starting out diving so hell go for it. Try the food all over the island, John at Tranquillo runs a great cafe, he should open a dive shop as he really knows how to run a business right, down to treating the employee's like humans not as cattle.
The net usually works ok but don't expect blazing fast speed. La Costena can be chaotic but hell I've flown in jumped on the puddle jumper and it's way better than the slow boat.
I have other posts relating to LCI here if you want to know more.
Have fun!
dirtfarmer,
Everything you mentioned is no surprise to me. They have a 2 class system, poor schleps and wealthy pr!cks, not a whole lot in between. It's just the way things work there and many other latin american countries. The rape and pillaging of the marine life bothers me. I thought I would get to dive there before this occurred but i'm too late it seems.

Hey! I am currently staying on BCI (been here for about 2 months). There are lots of places to stay ranging from shared bathroom hospedajes to more traditional hotels. With a budget of 100$ you can really stay just about anywhere. There are some nice $20 options though if you dont mind sharing a bathroom or communal space. If you tell me more about what you are looking for I can give you some more pointers. I also have been diving with Dos Tiburones Dive Shop. The offer snorkling trips along with dive trips if you and your girlfriend were looking for an activity you can do together in the water! Dos Tiburones | Home

Hey! I am currently staying on BCI (been here for about 2 months). There are lots of places to stay ranging from shared bathroom hospedajes to more traditional hotels. With a budget of 100$ you can really stay just about anywhere. There are some nice $20 options though if you dont mind sharing a bathroom or communal space. If you tell me more about what you are looking for I can give you some more pointers. I also have been diving with Dos Tiburones Dive Shop. The offer snorkling trips along with dive trips if you and your girlfriend were looking for an activity you can do together in the water! Dos Tiburones | Home

As with much of the country $100 can get you quite a bit. We aren't into communal baths and such so the higher tier stays would be our choice. As far as diving, my wife and I both dive. So is Dos Tiburones the OP you would recommend? Wait your on the the big island? Most folks prefer the Little Corn. What say you?

Thx

Back
Top Bottom