"Big Brother" of regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I said just as a manufacturer what training they provide to their authorized service centers. It's a joke and it's a lie. All those service tech certs that your LDS has handing on the wall do not represent training or qualifications but rather attests to the fact that they wrote a check for the required opening order. PERIOD

As someone who has rebuilt vehicle engines (my own, both car and boat), and does my own maintenance on my boat's diesels (fairly precise work, where a couple of thousandth's worth of clearance can be difference between a properly running engine and one that blows up and costs you $30k), and has repaired my own brakes and suspension on my vehicles since I was 16, I am far more qualfiied to rebuild a regulator and exercise due care in doing so than 95% of the so-called "certified" techs - many of whom don't even own a torque wrench.

If this ever came down to litigation the entire house of cards would collapse. Imagine the "certified tech" being trotted out by the manufacturer, with the certificate being the "proof" of their competence - and it is then learned that their "certification" was earned by:

1. Showing up at DEMA.
2. Paying for a one hour class, and sleeping during it.
3. Never having actually PERFORMED a single rebuild under supervision, or having had to pass any kind of certification test, nor even, for that matter, having presented any formal credential or prior experience in mechanical matters before registering for said "class." In fact, the only requirement for such registration is being employed by a shop selling that brand - even if your "employment" is that of someone who mops the head on the dive boat!

Pop goes the bubble of "legitimacy."

The manufacturers like to play this game that there is something "magical" or "difficult" about these things. There is not. There are, in fact, more parts in the governor of my boat's diesel engine than there are in the typical first stage, and there are actual critical clearances in the former - which MUST be correct or the engine may "run away" on you when started and (literally) blow up.

Its a scam.

Sadly, the issue is not whether Genesis believes that he is qualified to repair his own regs. Its not about whether rebuilding regs is hard or whether the qualifications are a joke.

Its whether the manufacturer is willing to sell to him or allow its distributors to sell parts to him and whether it is lawful for the manufacturer to restrict sales.

The law is quite clear. Manufacturers have the right to restrict sales. You can't force them to sell to you. Period. Unless the restriction is otherwise unlawful, and these aren't, there is nothing unlawful about the practice.

Incidentally, in an attempt to keep this discussion remotely on point, the same goes for the distribution of copyrighted works. You may believe, with all your heart, that copyright is wrong and that you should be allowed to distribute other people's property freely.

I'll take the other side of that argument any day of the week and smile each month when your damages payment rolls in.

Ok...so whats the best site to get the manuals for a particular regulator from?

I have a couple of Sherwood Oasis and Zeagle Octo +'s that I would like the manuals for.

Haven't taken them apart yet, but I do work on everything from turbines to generators to instrumentation, so I know they won't be that complicated.

Suggestions on where to find the manuals?

Knavey once bubbled...
Ok...so whats the best site to get the manuals for a particular regulator from?

I have a couple of Sherwood Oasis and Zeagle Octo +'s that I would like the manuals for.

Haven't taken them apart yet, but I do work on everything from turbines to generators to instrumentation, so I know they won't be that complicated.

Suggestions on where to find the manuals?

The place to start is with Vance Harlow's book. In most cases that'll probably be enough. From there though you can look around to dig up copies of specific manuals. You can't just walk into a store and buy them but they're out there.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

The place to start is with Vance Harlow's book. In most cases that'll probably be enough. From there though you can look around to dig up copies of specific manuals. You can't just walk into a store and buy them but they're out there.

Placed an order for it while you were posting!

Was hoping there was also a site with the manual tucked away on it, but my searches came up empty.

I do prefer to have the exact instructions. I do without at work sometimes, and from what I saw on Harlows site, that book is VERY good. But its nice to have the real stuff available for x-ref.

For those of you that want a great reg that the distrubutor will sell manuals and kits to any of us, look at the Abysmal line. Their Explorer line of regs is a poseidon first paired with a Kirby Morgan second, and you can purchase everything from Abyss.

The parts kit prices will give you a heart attack.

Over $100 for both a first and second stage kit.

I am looking into the possibility of sourcing the o-rings to do annual service and only use their kits for major overhauls. I do wonder how they can justify these expensive kits. I asked Cris, the Boss man at Abyss, and he told me that they come with more parts than we are used to seeing in a kit. We will see.

as posted by genesis and others; dive rite and the website diveriteexpress.com, have the downloadable repair manual and the parts listed for their regulators and the prices are fair for the parts (even for those of us who are tighter than the bark to a tree).
I sincerely hope this is the beggining of a industry wide trend. I had never bothered looking at their regs before but will now probably pick one up if just to support their repair and parts policy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom