Bifocals or magnifiers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bagger56

New
Reaction score
Does anyone make add-on magnifiers/bifocals that will work on prescription lens? I wear glasses and need bifocals. So I have a prescriptions lens in my dive mask. Now what I need is bifocals. I have tried the standard peel and stick bifocals or magnifiers but they only work on a mask with a standard flat lens in it (not prescription lens).

SeaVisionUSA

Good lenses & good masks. Can't ask for more...

What is mostly done is the prescription lens in the upper part and the redding part as a seperate lens below that. I do not know of a company that makes bifocals for masks.

What is mostly done is the prescription lens in the upper part and the redding part as a seperate lens below that. I do not know of a company that makes bifocals for masks.
Prescription Dive Masks makes true bifocals as a single unit attached to your mask lens. I assume Seavision does as well.

in my experience there are several different solutions:
a) dive store stocks a bunch of standard drop in whole lens for 1 or more masks carried by the store. you & the store clerk randomly pick one. a complete lens swap is performed.
b) dive store stocks a bunch of "glue in" universal readers. you & the store clerk randomly pick one, you try to stick it on your current lens.
c) you send a mask you know fits your head and your prescription to a full service dive vision vendor. you get a custom solution designed by a (hoprfully competent) optometrist.

I started with a) and have now moved back to stock plain lens as my vision changed and am now engaged in option b) in an attempt to more easily read my gauges as my arms are no longer long enough. You can combine options a) & b) but that really means you should be looking at c) instead.

My dive buddy started with a) 25 years ago and tried option c) just several years ago (provided by Prescription Dive Masks). She is in the process of ordering a second backup mask through them. Very happy camper.

Note that I do NOT consider a) or b) to fall under the label of "prescription" lens.

Back
Top Bottom