Bibbed Hood question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AevnsGrandpa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
A while back I picked up a used bibbed hood at my lds and have used it once. During that dive the exhaust from my reg kept going up in the hood and making a bubble on top of my head. Also the part over my chin came up to high and I had to fold it down so I could put my reg in my mouth.

My question is two-fold.

First, how can you tell if a hood is the right size. I remember reading in my OW manual about it not being too tight as it would cut off blood flow. This one feel nice and snug on my neck and sides of my face but there is about an inch gap or so at the top of my head and there seem to be too much bibbing. There is a big wad of it when I try and zip up my wet suit.

Lastly, are they made to be sized? Meaning can I cut the face opening to better fit my chin area? And refering to what I said above about the bibbing, can it be cut and reglued?

I did cut a small slit in the top so any air that gets trapped will come out, so I hope that helps. Going diving this Saturday to a quarry that will be about 50-55 degrees.

Thanks all,

Jeff :dazzler1:

P.S. Wow I jst noticed I am now a REGULAR member vs. a junior member!!

Hoods are three sizes fits nobody. It doesn't sound like it fits you that badly, except at the chin. If there is a double stitch there, you can trim below the one and above the other with no problem as most hoods are made to trim the face area. The bibs always bunch. If it bothers you, like you say, just trim and reglue. Be careful not to cut too much.

As long as it keeps your head warm, doesn't get in the way, and is mostly comfortable, short of a custom hood, what you see is what you get.

Being a regular member means you now have to pay for answers :wink:

I always wondered where the $$ comes to keep this site going..

Jeff

One thing to be aware of when cutting a hole in the top of your hood, while allowing air out, it also allows the water direct access to your head... ie. more heat loss. Which can be a problem if the water is really cold.

If you have a look at hoods with holes in the top, they also have a second layer of material on the inside with a second set of holes that are not aligned with the first. The air can get out but the water no longer has direct access to your head. For hoods that don't have pre-cut holes, I would think adding a second layer of material would be easy enough, if necessary.

Cheers,
Bill.

I think bibbed hoods are rubbish. It's a good idea in theory, but in practice it's difficult to prevent the bib from bunching up. Water still floods down the back of your neck. I'm a big fan of the vest-with-attatched-hood concept. I know from experience that it makes a huge difference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom