BEWARE - shipping items home from overseas diving destinations can result in unforeseen costs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 to what Marie said. My dad’s wife moved forest products in truck and rail car quantities back and forth to Canada. They were the broker, and crossed in a limited number of places. The least screwup could result in lengthy delays and bonded storage fees. And if you had to bond out a railcar or a train the fees were in the hundreds of thousands of dollars per day when the train can’t move.

Having moved to Australia and back to the US, I’m not sure if I’d ever ship something back home ever again, unless it was a business that was set up to handle it for me.

While not representative of the entire world, American and Australian customs were a pain in the .....

I was lucky the one time I had excessive carry on weight, I was able to place my much heavier of two bags next to someone sleeping (the airport was virtually empty for an early morning flight).

But I don’t push my luck anymore.

Having moved to Australia and back to the US, I’m not sure if I’d ever ship something back home ever again, unless it was a business that was set up to handle it for me.

While not representative of the entire world, American and Australian customs were a pain in the .....

I was lucky the one time I had excessive carry on weight, I was able to place my much heavier of two bags next to someone sleeping (the airport was virtually empty for an early morning flight).

But I don’t push my luck anymore.

Dealing with customs as an airline passenger and as an actual importer are two totally different things.

Dealing with customs as an airline passenger and as an actual importer are two totally different things.
That was kind of my point.

Hi All, just got worked over by our duties customs and taxes system in Australia.

Bought 3 x large dragon flies for garden -= $AUS 953
Boxing and shipping = $AUS 300 total cost 1253

Importers costs = $AUS 437
Customs = $AUS 295
taxes = $AUS 210 (note over $1000 as cost calc includes original shipping)
customs admin 1x93+1x92 = $AUS 185

Total cost for item bought for $953 = $AUS 1,475 + 953 = $AUS 2,428

I still have to get it to my home and if I don't pick it up within 3 days fees start to accumulate.

Do not do this ever. I was shocked at the costs and now I know why everything in Australia is so bloody expensive
Move to America.

Australia is quite expensive and it's custom/import regulations are a pain in the neck.

But no one comes close to good ol' US of A. As an expat, the ulcers I get from moving stuff in and out of the country are enough to keep Pepto-Bismol in business for the next 10 years.

I'm glad to read all this because I was contemplating buying some Bali art to have it shipped home (to the US). Guess I won't be doing that.

- Bill

Don’t do it. Save yourself a lot of trouble. Take pictures of it. Much more portable and easier to deal with! :wink:

Don’t do it. Save yourself a lot of trouble. Take pictures of it. Much more portable and easier to deal with! :wink:

But I always thought American travellers could import stuff purchased while abroad without duties/tariffs? I’m probably using those words wrong, forgive me. Kind of like when Americans buy stuff online from out of the country. I could be totally wrong.

UK also imposes duties and taxes and freight handling. A laptop I sent to UK incurred over £800 in fees.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom