BEWARE - shipping items home from overseas diving destinations can result in unforeseen costs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ardy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi All, just got worked over by our duties customs and taxes system in Australia.

Bought 3 x large dragon flies for garden -= $AUS 953
Boxing and shipping = $AUS 300 total cost 1253

Importers costs = $AUS 437
Customs = $AUS 295
taxes = $AUS 210 (note over $1000 as cost calc includes original shipping)
customs admin 1x93+1x92 = $AUS 185

Total cost for item bought for $953 = $AUS 1,475 + 953 = $AUS 2,428

I still have to get it to my home and if I don't pick it up within 3 days fees start to accumulate.

Do not do this ever. I was shocked at the costs and now I know why everything in Australia is so bloody expensive

This sounds more like a OZ problem than an Indo problem. From your post's title, it sounded like an Indo issue. Shouldn't the title be more like: "Beware: Never buy anything overseas and ship it back to Australia" instead? LOL.

But sorry to hear about your consternation. Hope it will be resolved soon.

Actually, this isn't just an Aussie issue. I'm a licensed customs broker (clear imported goods through Customs for individuals and companies). Many people buy something overseas while on vacation and ship it home, only to experience sticker shock at the cost. They think you can just ship something home and pick it up. You can't - there are customs formalities and a whole bunch of other things.

And the pick it up before fees start to accumulate? That's quite normal - airlines/warehouses only allow a certain amount of "free time" before storage fees start to accumulate.

Very true Marie BUT the timer starts from unpacking and customs etc can take 3 days to get cleared. These problems are not in the commercial world only individuals shipping stuff home.

Gekodive and charch... Don't get too protective guys and hard to see where this idea came from. I clearly stated "and ship it home".
This is something that no tourist to Indonesia (or maybe anywhere O/Seas) should ever contemplate unless they have bottomless pockets. Each of the 3 items ended up costing me $800 whereas the 3 were bought for $950. Would you do it? I doubt it.

I see this as an important warning - particularly where there are interesting and reasonably priced art items.

This sounds more like a OZ problem than an Indo problem

Yup, looks like another free shot at Indonesia for no reason!

You should have read what I wrote, the first line states "just got worked over by our duties customs and taxes system in Australia."

I did read what you wrote. So that is why I've wrote in my post that it is more of your residence issue and not an Indo issue.

I am not protective of anything. I am not Indonesian and I don't live in Indonesia. I am just in the region. I don't have a bias with anything. I am just saying your title is a bit misleading, that is all.

I'm a licensed customs broker (clear imported goods through Customs for individuals and companies). Many people buy something overseas while on vacation and ship it home, only to experience sticker shock at the cost. They think you can just ship something home and pick it up. You can't - there are customs formalities and a whole bunch of other things.

Is there a source for rough estimated added costs to send to the U.S.?

Back in 2015 I did a trip on the Belize Aggressor IV (then called Sun Dancer 2). Across from the pier was a vendor selling wood carvings, including a big one of a hammerhead shark that caught my eye. I didn't buy anything because packing for a dive trip often means not much luggage space, especially for something big. I wondered how much hassle it'd be to buy and have it packed up & shipped to me in Kentucky, but wasn't willing to get into all that.

But if a person knew in advance just what series of steps to take (e.g.: local shipper, cost & distance to take a cab to/from if needed, etc...), it'd be good to have a rough idea.

Richard.

Very true Marie BUT the timer starts from unpacking and customs etc can take 3 days to get cleared. These problems are not in the commercial world only individuals shipping stuff home.

Gekodive and charch... Don't get too protective guys and hard to see where this idea came from. I clearly stated "and ship it home".
This is something that no tourist to Indonesia (or maybe anywhere O/Seas) should ever contemplate unless they have bottomless pockets. Each of the 3 items ended up costing me $800 whereas the 3 were bought for $950. Would you do it? I doubt it.

I see this as an important warning - particularly where there are interesting and reasonably priced art items.

Actually, these problems ARE in the commercial world. There are businesses importing with absolutely clueless employees who consistently have no idea what is required, even though you repeatedly explain it to them. I have shipments repeatedly going into storage because importers don't provide required documents in a timely manner.

The real lesson: don't buy something on holiday unless it's small enough to fit in your suitcase!

Is there a source for rough estimated added costs to send to the U.S.?

Back in 2015 I did a trip on the Belize Aggressor IV (then called Sun Dancer 2). Across from the pier was a vendor selling wood carvings, including a big one of a hammerhead shark that caught my eye. I didn't buy anything because packing for a dive trip often means not much luggage space, especially for something big. I wondered how much hassle it'd be to buy and have it packed up & shipped to me in Kentucky, but wasn't willing to get into all that.

But if a person knew in advance just what series of steps to take (e.g.: local shipper, cost & distance to take a cab to/from if needed, etc...), it'd be good to have a rough idea.

Richard.

Duties can be found by looking in the tariff online, but it really doesn't help you much if you don't know what you're looking for as tariff is complicated.

Shipping costs vary greatly depending on whether it's air or ocean, weight, dimensions, etc.

Then there are any destination warehouse charges, customs clearance, plus delivery. Can you pick it up yourself or does it need to be delivered? There's nowhere to just plug everything in. You actually have to talk to a broker/freight forwarder with details in hand to get an accurate idea of what you would be paying.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom