Beware of boaters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having thought about this topic I would really like to mix the old skool broadside(canons) and the new skool t-shirt gun from sporting events. Wouldn't it be nice to fire an expanding ball of 1/4" floating poly line, cut into nice prop fouling 4' lengths, right into the path of friendly boaters who feel the need to get really close. After disabling them we could start firing the good stuff like bags of chum :lotsalove:

This summer I surfaced from a dive with my dive flag, only to have a speed boat whizz by 30 feet away.

Who was driving the boat? The Charleston West Virginia Fire Department SCUBA RESCUE TEAM, there at the reservoir for training.

When I confronted the boater, who was a member of the scuba rescue team, he stated that he knew that he had to remain 150 feet a dive flag, but he "knew" he wasn't going to hit me with his speed boat so it was okay that he got close to us!

This summer I surfaced from a dive with my dive flag, only to have a speed boat whizz by 30 feet away.

Who was driving the boat? The Charleston West Virginia Fire Department SCUBA RESCUE TEAM, there at the reservoir for training.

When I confronted the boater, who was a member of the scuba rescue team, he stated that he knew that he had to remain 150 feet a dive flag, but he "knew" he wasn't going to hit me with his speed boat so it was okay that he got close to us!

On our Rescue Team, the boat operator would be pulled from the boat ASAP. And if the other crew on the boat did NOT relieve him they would be boatless as well. S A F E T Y for everyone is the #1 concern.
Usually our boat operator is playing blocker to keep other boats away from the divers. He has called to Sherrifs Office and had the offending boat taken out of the water, before he sank it.

Makes me wonder if there's any kind of underwater-deployed flare/incendiary device that can be created.. in my vision, the diver either releases or fires a directed projectile that is positively buoyant, which travels quickly to the surface, and hopefully continues a few feet above the water, exploding into a nice incendiary fireball of some type. Wouldn't have to be big. :)

Either that or we're going to have to have a ROV/dive flag combo at the surface that can track incoming waterskis, broadcast warning signals, and finally launch tracked projectiles at the trespassing vehicle. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom