beware before booking to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubasherry...

I can see the sun right now! I am in Lansing, and we can see yellow light coming out of the sky this morning! I think that is sunlight anyway.

Anyway, I totally agree with your thoughts about travel planning. Nothing against travel agents, but they have always steered me to the all-inclusive hotel or the 5 star joint when all my wife (Scubasherrie LOL) and I really need is a relatively bug-free hut within walking distance to the water.

Also, folks, travel pros are like auto mechanics. You might need to shop around to find the one who treats you best personally. Closing your eyes and jabbing a finger at the yellow pages not the best method for making travel arraignments.

We are heading to Coz late Feb. Gotta get out of this grey! There is more sunlight in the winter arctic than in Michigan!

harpua:
Scubasherry...

I can see the sun right now! I am in Lansing, and we can see yellow light coming out of the sky this morning! I think that is sunlight anyway.

A
I saw it too!!! :sunny Me and my pup sat in the window soaking it up. Close your eyes and it feels as if it could be summer!!

Have you and your wife started your clases yet? I remember your posts on Trip advisor

scubasherry:
Hi Antonio! I will post it here as well, and add a few comments...

My travel agent did not steer me away from coz... infact she knows what kind of travelers we are becoming and what we are looking for in our vacation so she reccomended some smaller places to us to check into. She also tried to help get me airfare. But the flight we found I could sign up with NWA and get bonus points for travel so she told me to do it. (she helped me plan and then backed off so I could get the best deal) She is a sweet heart. She just asked that I give her a report when we get back! :admin:

But... you must consider that we are not "fussy travelers" We don't need all the palm trees to be perfect - and so the reefs are damaged... they will still be more beautiful than the lakes we dive in around here. Seeing a building that has been destroyed and not rebuilt yet will NOT ruin this vacation. We perfer not to stay at an all inculsive this time because we want to get out and be with the people of Cozumel and experience the culture. We have taken 2 vacations to Mexico in the past and our most memorable experiences were ourside of the resort life.

I will say that planning with a travel agent maybe a bit easier but planning on your own is not by any means hard. If you know who you want to dive with they can usually provide you with trusted places to stay. Booking airfare is a snap. If you are reading this then you can search airlines prices and book online because you have a compter. Its not hard.

Ever since Willma I have just been gathering as much info as possible from the internet about Cozumel. I really appreciate Antonio's pictures and info he has provided! And all the info this forum and others have provided. I do not post much - but I read every thread trying to learn as much as I can about Cozumel. And diving there. First time in the ocean and looking forward to it.

There was no sunshine officially measured in Grand Rapids again today. This makes 14 days in a row and we may tie the record tomorrow at 15. No sunshine is expected in the next few day just clouds and snow flurries. 15 days without a glimps of sun. I feel like a vampire I am afraid the sun will burn my eyes the next time I am blessed to see it.

22 days left until Cozumel!!!
I stay away from travel agents and go directly to the source. Its easier to find out which hotel is open and which is not by doing your own research. Besides i would rather pick out my own place to stay than for a travel agent to find it for me. I have always been happy with what i picked out byt not always happy with what a travel agent picked for us The problem with that too is if you go with a travel agent and dont like the hotel you cannot change without loosing some money. Dont change your destination just find the hotel yourself and book it. That way you will know for sure if they are open. Kathy

We will be in cozumel Feb 26-March 6 staying at the Villa Aldora and diving with Aldora divers. They had very little damage and are open for business.Here is their website if you want to check them out: We have been diving with them for 10 years now and have always been happy. www.aldora.com
Kathy

scubacoz22:
I stay away from travel agents and go directly to the source. Its easier to find out which hotel is open and which is not by doing your own research. Besides i would rather pick out my own place to stay than for a travel agent to find it for me. I have always been happy with what i picked out byt not always happy with what a travel agent picked for us The problem with that too is if you go with a travel agent and dont like the hotel you cannot change without loosing some money. Dont change your destination just find the hotel yourself and book it. That way you will know for sure if they are open. Kathy

Can't you just tell your agent what you want and then let them book it for you? The problem with doing it yourself is that you have to coordinate air and hotel availabilty at the same time. The prices are the same for hotel but they usually get you bulk rate cheaper airfare.

scubacoz22:
We will be in cozumel Feb 26-March 6 staying at the Villa Aldora and diving with Aldora divers. They had very little damage and are open for business.Here is their website if you want to check them out: We have been diving with them for 10 years now and have always been happy. www.aldora.com
Kathy

I have friends that will not use anyone but Aldora for a Dive Op. They have also used them for many years.

Taking the trip cancel insurance might be adviseable at this time, even if it is something you don't normally do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom