Better undergarment, or different material suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mudchick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Some background: I started drysuit diving a neoprene by Mares ( I don't remember the model) about 8 years ago or so. Mostly liked it, kept me warm enough but was bulky and the shoulders didn't fit me all that well--I have broad shoulders for a woman, and I didn't like the hard boot, so after a few years I went to a Hollis FX 100. I love the freedom of movement but no matter what I use for an undergarment, I still freeze, much more so than the Mares. I use the Bare 200 g undergarment with other outdoor-oriented fleece pants and long sleeves underneath.

Do I look for a heavier undergarment (recommendations as to brand)?
Do I spend the money that I would have spent on a heavier undergarment towards going back to a crushed neoprene (brand recommdations)?

I've been looking at the White's Fusion thinking that the oversuit might help it behave more like a neoprene with the mobility of a trilam.

While I didn't pay retail for the drysuit or undergarement it was still quite a bit of change but I'm just not that happy with the Hollis and I'm tired of being cold after spending all this money. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thermal Protection : Dive Lifestyle Clothing : Adventures : Fourth Element

I used to wear a Bare Polarwear 200 + Wool long underwear + Underarmor, and I was always cold below 48F.

Now I alter between:
4th Element Arctic + Xerotherm + underarmor = to about 42F
4th Element Halo3D + Xerotherm + underarmor = 37F, still comfortable!

I have better mobility with the 4th Element stuff...no delay with valve drills anymore!

What you used to wear is what I'm doing now and I'm cold in the mid 50's. I must have a really low tolerance for cold. I'll look into 4th Element.
Thanks!

Thermal Protection : Dive Lifestyle Clothing : Adventures : Fourth Element

I used to wear a Bare Polarwear 200 + Wool long underwear + Underarmor, and I was always cold below 48F.

Now I alter between:
4th Element Arctic + Xerotherm + underarmor = to about 42F
4th Element Halo3D + Xerotherm + underarmor = 37F, still comfortable!

I have better mobility with the 4th Element stuff...no delay with valve drills anymore!

The neoprene on the Mares was providing another layer of insulation, along with bulk of course. I believe the Bare Polarware 200 is to light of garment for mid 50 - temperatures, just my opinion.

My wife, who has a low tolerance for cold used to dive DUI 400g Polarstretch and was always chilled in our summer waters. She switched to Fourth Element Arctics (+ wicking layer and Hot Chilly's) and has been very comfortable. Her only negative was she wished they had a one piece, which I understand they now have.

I have been very impressed with Whites Fusion undergarment.

I have used several and settled with the Climasphere from SP Climasphere | Scubapro Southern Africa It is a modular 2 piece low profile suit of 430g fleece and 4 way stretch. Mine fits like a wetsuit and provides fantastic thermal protection. I also like the 4th Element Halo 3D

Where are you diving? I use 200g undergarments in Florida caves, where the temperature is in the high 60's. Below that, they aren't enough.

I'd spend the money on a good undergarment. A laminate suit is versatile and can be used anywhere, and can travel; going to a heavier suit may make you warmer in one environment, but make you too warm in another and be hard to dry or pack.

I have tried: The DUI 400g, the Weezle Extreme +, the Halo, the Whites MK3, the 4th Element Arctics, and the Thermal Fusion. The Halo, MK3, and TF are similar in insulation. The TF is the hardest to get into but the most mobile, and needs the least weight. Mine hasn't held up very well. The MK3 is VERY warm and very nicely laid out, but takes a ton of weight to sink and is thick, so you need quite a bit of room in the suit for it. The Halo is quite warm and much slimmer than the MK3 and takes a little less weight, but doesn't have a good place to put your keys and has no pockets for your hands when you are out of the suit. The shoulder pads can impact being able to reach your valves in doubles.

TSandM; Just curious of the issues you have had with the TF not holding up well?

Check out the SEAC Warm Dry. It fits and moves like a wet suit, has soft sole boots, and keeps you very warm (at least it does me). I was diving here Friday when the air temp was in the 30s and was very comfortable during the surface interval in my suit. I've had it in water in the 40s with a 200 gram undergarment and never got cold.

I used 4th Element drybase + Arctics and was warm in 60F water. Make sure you put some air in the suit. You lose insulation when your undergarments compress, then you'll get cold.

4th Element has an interactive chart on their undergarment page to show you which undies to use for what temperature waters. It works well for me.

You could also look at Santi 1 piece undies. I heard they work very well and are very well thought out.

Back
Top Bottom