Better to dive in Sharm or Aqaba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello, I will be in both Jordan and Egypt in two weeks and am wondering if it would be better to dive in Sharm or Aqaba? I am a relatively inexperienced diver so don't want to go too deep. But I am wondering which area would be cheaper for diving and more interesting. Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Im a huge fan of the diving in Aqaba, if for nothing else there will be a lot less other divers on the sites. Speak to diveaqaba.com ive been with them several times and they are extremely friendly, well run centre. Im afraid I cant comment much on price because its been a while since going to sharm. The sites in aqaba would be perfect for an inexperienced diver, lots of shallow sites, good coral, cedar pride wreck at only 20ish meters. Its worth a look at.

+1 for Dive Aqaba, I was there 3 weeks ago, viz varied between 15 to 50 M

Easy dives from a boat, great food, and a well experienced crew.

Cost for 12 dives on Nitrox was JD330 (Euro330) including food. Couple of nice Danish girls there doing their DM at the moment.

I work in Sharm and although I have never dived in Aqaba we have a centre there which a good friend managed for a while, so in terms of the major differences:

The reef in Sharm is the best in the northern Red Sea, I don't think this can be disputed but the downsides are that they can get very busy, and are mostly only accessible by boat, which some people don't like and Ras Mohamed and Tiran are full-day trips 8am - 5pm which can be problematic for non-diving family. Aqaba has much less diving tourism, so it might be a bit more relaxed

Aqaba is a little more expensive than Sharm - my own company has centres in both locations and our Sharm prices are cheaper.

Sharm is not a real place - it's a tourist resort. Cool places to visit (including Aqaba!) are readily available and everything is well catered to in a very touristy sort of way. Aqaba is a real place with real history and is a pretty new tourist destination for Europeans, especially divers. For a lot of people, that makes a difference in location.

Finally - I would visit diveaqaba just to meet the Danish girls! :D

Please say hello to them from me btw, if anybody visits. Like they have any idea who I am, of course, which is to say none at all. :D

Wherever you go enjoy your stay!

C.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom