Better gopro video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frndrfoe

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, I haven't dove regularly since my Dad used a Nikonos II. I am getting back in it finally and want to capture video of my boys and I diving together.
I have a Gopro3+ with the scuba housing and a floaty handle but would like a light to improve things. I am on a budget so I am wondering what others are using for mounting plates and light. I see a lot of lights in the $100-$200 range but I have learned that lumen ratings are far from standard in LED lights.
I think the OrcaTorch D600V LED Canister Video Light looks pretty neat but I don't know how it would connect to a camera mount.

I see something like this and I think it would be too close to the camera and cause too much reflection from debris/silt in the water.
http://www.adorama.com/KNQALBK.html...Oiqx2-i_zpdPj__mDqjj6A9paZO1t_Au8QxoCIqjw_wcB

The more I look the harder the decision is becoming so I thought if I saw other peoples setups I might just copy it.

Quality of the gopro is good enough for me, It's just to save memories and share with family.

We also offer a light, tray and arm options for the Go Pro.

Two Handle Camera Tray | MAKO Spearguns

M2HTCT-2T.jpg

Have you considered using a selfie stick. They are used by a lot of recreational divers and are fun and easy to use. You can extend the stick to capture you and your family while diving as well as easily film sea life. If you want to attach a video light to it you might want to check out our monopole light mount. It also serves as a great stabilizing handle when filming with the mono pole

images

e026951d121a8982dd9f7b5695950700.jpg

Also you can't go wrong with the archon lights. Very reasonable price ( and it is a pretty good video light. 110 degree, three out put settings, 100 mters for 50 bucks!!! These little things rock!
Archon D11V Diving Light Cree XM-L Lamp Outdoor Super-bright LED Flashlight 860 Lumens Flashlight 2 X Cr123 Or 1 X 18650 Li-ion Battery Waterproof Travel Flashlight(batteries are not included) - Basic Handheld Flashlights - Amazon.com

Hope this helps some!
Frank G
www.zgearinc.com

I use a camera tray like this Ikelite. Mine is outfitted with two grip handles and a flex mount for a iTorch Video 6+ light. I paid about $80 for the tray, 2 handles, and the flex mount. Got it on ebay. Paid $225 for the used iTorch on ebay as well. When setup it looks a lot like this one. Other times I use a go-pole that I made recycling my duaghter's old lacrosse handle.

I use Frank's video mount for the pole and it works well. I use the UK Pro pole. It allows you to get very close to the animals without scaring them away, and you can do selfie clips.

I also have a small tray with a video light mount but I prefer the pole.

IMO matching the tiny GoPro to a large tray device defeats the GoPro's advantages.

Many of us are using the backscatter tray and handles which does the job. It has a screw mount for a tripod which can be important down the track when you decide to do macro.
Here are a couple of options:
GoPro Gear - mounts

I finally went with the UK Pole, z gear light mount and the Archon light.

The archon light is really impressive for $50, nice wide even light. should be good for night dives too.

Thanks for your recommendations.

I ended up making a little mod to the pole to make it easier to hold at length. I put some 3/4" pipe insulation wrapped in hvac tape and then zip tied it. Hopefully this will keep it from getting destroyed too quickly and it looks like it's off a space ship :dork2:.

It is still just a little negative but much less so. Think the fish will like the tape?

20161204_154106_zpsreoqcl63.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom