Beta test new online dive computer training class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doug Krause

Contributor
Reaction score
San Leandro, California (just south of Oakland)
New program, spearheaded by AERIS, is designed to help new divers and student divers to learn how to use the XR-1 dive computer in a simple, interactive and effective way

SAN LEANDRO, CA - October 16, 2009 - Last month's widely applauded announcement by a leading SCUBA training organization is helping re-shape how dive retailers and divers view and utilize dive computers in Open Water SCUBA training.

AERIS has always been on the leading edge of computer and diving technology. As part of its leadership role in the dive industry, AERIS is helping to produce effective and relevant online training programs involving SCUBA computers to assist the industry as it evolves to the next stage of educational technology.

AERIS, together with its online training development partner DiveNav, unveils the first online dive computer course, specifically highlighting the AERIS XR-1 dive computer. The XR-1 Specialty Class is the FIRST ever available online dive computer class designed to teach divers how to use a SPECIFIC dive computer. Professionally made, interactive and effective multimedia audio / visual packaged in a cost effective online class that will make for an enjoyable user experience. Once taken, the Specialty Class doubles as an online multimedia Operating Manual that can be consulted from anywhere around the world.

The XR-1 Online Specialty Class is available FREE during a limited beta test trial period at: Dive Computer Training

I took a quick look, and I'm disappointed with the strategy, although it's kind of what I expected. Microsoft Windows only, like DiveNav.

An increasing large minority is using Apple OS X, and the high-income demographic that ought to be the most attractive to scuba equipment manufacturers, even moreso. But here we go, like OceanLog, you're locking yourself into Windows.

No, Windows under boot camp is not Mac compatibility. I, and many others, WILL NOT run Windows, and it's not even just because I'd have to buy a copy.

The concept is great, long overdue, and you at least get credit for being the first in this technologically backwards industry. I'm sure it will help sell a bunch of computers, and maybe incrementally improve diver safety. Just sad to see he same mistakes that have been previously brought to your attention with OceanLog, and which you have acknowledged need fixing, repeated in another venue.

I'd also like to try DiveNav, but they have chosen to make that impossible.

I took a quick look, and I'm disappointed with the strategy, although it's kind of what I expected. Microsoft Windows only....

???? WHAT did you try?
The class runs from a browser !

.....I'd also like to try DiveNav, but they have chosen to make that impossible.
To design a videogame compatible with MacOS (and their way to handle 3D graphics) will require lot more $$ (lots of them) :depressed:

I never said that we will NOT do the port .... but first I need to justify the expense to my investors ..... and so far I have some difficulties showing a decent ROI for the port

Alberto

I took a quick look, and I'm disappointed with the strategy, although it's kind of what I expected. Microsoft Windows only, . . .

Uhh . . . agreed - as far as I can tell, this browser class is also browser-agnostic. Operating System is not called at all.

Not bad. Those whose strongest learning venue is visual will greatly appreciate it. Are you going to do more dive computer classes in other brands, or are you sticking with Aeris for now?

???? WHAT did you try?
The class runs from a browser !

Then I apologize. I clicked on the link in Doug's post, saw it was DiveNav, started poking around in the FAQs, found the tab labeled "System Requirements", and saw it was the same as DiveNav (Windows with a mention of boot camp), and apparently jumped to an incorrect assumption that the PDC simulator was a bolt-on to DiveNav.

Try coming at it from that approach, of someone unfamiliar with what this is, and I think you'll have a little sympathy for my mistake. I can't even look at the tutorial info at the left on that page without registering, which I don't want to do at least yet, so I started poking around in the tabs at the top, which are tightly coupled to DiveNav, and quickly found the apparently inapplicable "System Requirements".

All that's by way of explaining/excusing my mistake, but I'm sure I won't be the last. Maybe some overview of the PDC training product could be provided before creating an account, and the separation from the DiveNav product could be made clearer.

As to the reality, great!. When I saw Doug's post, I was hoping for browser-based, platform agnostic. My erroneous disappointment is what prompted my post. Not much more to say. I'll probably give it a try even though I'm not currently shopping for a PDC (hope it doesn't only work in IE :cool2:). I hope OceanLog follows.

To design a videogame compatible with MacOS (and their way to handle 3D graphics) will require lot more $$ (lots of them) :depressed:

I never said that we will NOT do the port .... but first I need to justify the expense to my investors ..... and so far I have some difficulties showing a decent ROI for the port
Alberto
That's very fair. I have previously looked at DiveNav, been disappointed I can't use it, but I've never complained about it, and I only threw in my comment about it as an afterthought, thinking the PDC trainer was part of it. I'm glad to hear you are still considering a Mac port, and I hope the marketshare trend continues so the ROI case makes itself.

Ultimately it's all business decisions by both DiveNav and Oceanic/Aeris, but I see a difference in the user accessibility obligations between a "Video Game" and the support software, including the "online multimedia Operating Manual", for a PDC.

Not bad. Those whose strongest learning venue is visual will greatly appreciate it. ....
Thank You

....Are you going to do more dive computer classes in other brands, or are you sticking with Aeris for now?
Well, ... this is the Aeris forum and I do not want to upset Doug.

Then I apologize. I clicked on the link in Doug's post, saw it was DiveNav, started poking around in the FAQs, found the tab labeled "System Requirements", and saw it was the same as DiveNav (Windows with a mention of boot camp), and apparently jumped to an incorrect assumption that the PDC simulator was a bolt-on to DiveNav.....
No need to apologize.
For your edification, DiveNav is the name of the company. eDiving is the name of the scuba diving simulator (Windows only for now :wink:) and Dive Computer Training is the name of the service providing online specialty classes for dive computers.
Our specialty classes are designed using the simulator, so it is quite easy to get confused.
Also, when taking the class, users have the OPTION to practice with a dive computer using the simulator ...... again, this is optional and not a requirement to complete the class.

.... I can't even look at the tutorial info at the left on that page without registering......
That was a mistake from my part .... the first 4 (or 5?) sections should have been accessible without registering. Now it is fixed.

..... Maybe some overview of the PDC training product could be provided before creating an account....
See above

....As to the reality, great!. When I saw Doug's post, I was hoping for browser-based, platform agnostic. .... hope it doesn't only work in IE .......
Actually ... personally I have not yet tested the class with IE :wink: .....

..... I'm glad to hear you are still considering a Mac port, and I hope the marketshare trend continues so the ROI case makes itself..
Will keep monitoring the situation and pushing the case.

....Ultimately it's all business decisions by both DiveNav and Oceanic/Aeris, but I see a difference in the user accessibility obligations between a "Video Game" and the support software, including the "online multimedia Operating Manual", for a PDC.
I am glad you like the concept of having an "online multimedia Operating Manual".

Alberto

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom