Best/worst TV commercials of all time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shakeybrainsurgeon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My vote for the best, or among the best, TV commercials is the Geico caveman ad, where the corporate executive ham-handedly tries to apologize to two Neanderthals. It lampoons so many things: political correctness, corporate callousness, the bogus sophistication of the cavemen (designer shades..."I'll have the roast duck with mango salsa..."). I particularly like the Ice Age stare of caveman #2 "no thanks, I don't have much of an appetite. (This commercial is something of a ripoff of an old Saturday Night Live skit in which an infomercial babe, Morgan Fairchild, is huckstering a pasta maker made by Mike Myers--- and ends up insulting every ethnic group in the country "Gee Mike, people think making pasta is hard, but you have shown that to be a bigger myth than the Holocaust!)

My vote for worst ad was one by Chevrolet for the old Nova. A young woman is pumping gas into her new Nova when a handosme hunk pulls up and says, with an incredulous voice, "Susan --- you drive a Nova!?" Obviously embarrassed, she says "well, it is a lot of car for the money!" That's brilliant. Who wants to drive a piece-of-crap-but-it's-all-I-can-afford car? No one. Wall Street Journal noted that that this ad single-handedly ruined the Nova.

Runner up for best ad is Comcast's commercial wherein a large antlered deer is shown lying inert on a sandy beach. A young life guard swoops in and says "not on my watch pal!" and proceeds to do CPR on the animal. After several seconds, it sits up, coughs up a lungful of water and walks away. The ad says :Interested in saving big bucks? Go Comcast.

Runner up for worst ad: the de Beers diamond ads that basically say all women are *****s. The cartoon Family Guy lampooned these brilliantly, showing a man giving a woman a diamond necklace, and she then proceeds to... well, the ad ends with the violins swelling and the words: Diamonds --- then she'll pretty much have to!:D

My vote for the best goes back a while: Six people car-pooling in a VW Bug - aren't you glad you use Dial; don't you wish everyone did?

I love the caveman commercials!

My fav is from that troublesome election in the US a while back. It's a Snicker's ad with the two candidates and they are trying to one-up each other.

"My dad invented pants" ROFL

Maybe you needed to be there. I sure wish I could find a copy on the net - we laughed so hard!

I would have to say the "Dog Days of Disney" campaign. A black & white dog is enjoying the rides, sites and food at Disney. The last few frames are him on his bed, he's dreaming and his feet are twitching. The follow up one with the bichen frizey just ruined it for me though.

The old Whiskas commercial with the lovebird was a classic. "Take dat bad cat fuud and dump it in de dumpster. Thank you"

Speaking of dog commercials: the scene is the Westminster Dog show and, when the winner is announced, the camera shifts to the ugliest dog imaginable, a mangy mutt with Austin Powers teeth. The other dogs whip their heads, eyes bulging in amazement at this travesty...then we see the ugly dog shoving a case of Bud Light towards the judges.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom