Best wicking baselayer material

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RedSeaDiver2

Contributor
Reaction score
What have people found to be the best wicking baselayer material? I don't need it to add extra warmth, just to be able to wick away sweat.

I really enjoy my Icebreaker merino wool clothing year round (base layer under drysuit undergarments, skiing, and for general summer sports). They are soft, nearly like cotton, and you can get various weights to fit your needs. Another big plus is that natural fibres don’t smell like synthetics when sweaty.

I really enjoy my Icebreaker merino wool clothing year round (base layer under drysuit undergarments, skiing, and for general summer sports). They are soft, nearly like cotton, and you can get various weights to fit your needs. Another big plus is that natural fibres don’t smell like synthetics when sweaty.
I really like merino too. It needs to be washed really gently, or at least the stuff I have did. It got holes all in it. I've read maybe use a very mild detergent? I always hang to dry, so I'm not sure what caused it. But they're awesome as a base.

I really like merino too. It needs to be washed really gently, or at least the stuff I have did. It got holes all in it. I've read maybe use a very mild detergent? I always hang to dry, so I'm not sure what caused it. But they're awesome as a base.
My SmartWool gets washed on cold/gentle with Tide in the same loads as the rest of my clothes. Nothing has holes.

My SmartWool gets washed on cold/gentle with Tide in the same loads as the rest of my clothes. Nothing has holes.
What gsm or whatever?

I bought the thinnest (just looked it up, was 200) because it was used under a neoprene suit. It was paper thin, like hold it up to the light and see through thin. I need to take a drive to REI and see what theirs feels / look like. Isn't that where you got yours?

What have people found to be the best wicking baselayer material? I don't need it to add extra warmth, just to be able to wick away sweat.
I use UnderArmor Heat Gear baselayer when I don't need any thermal insulation. It wicks so well that if there is even a slight breeze I feel chilled from the evaporation. That said, I have also used thin wool (e.g., Smartwool) baselayer and it did not feel that much different.

I buy thin Merino wool shirts from Costco for about $20. They are great value and perform as well as any name-brand for a fraction of the price.

Merino wool.

Merino will work, but Icebreakers can be pricey. Also, when you're on the road you may not be able to wash/dry merino fast enough w/o destroying the garments. Thus, synthetics are better bet.

Any sports base layer will do a decent job. Looking for shirts/baselayers designed to wick moisture away. Many companies market those baselayers for warm/hot weather workouts.

- Underarmour: Heat Gear collection
- Nike: Dri-FIT

You can find these on sale/eBay for next to nothing.

The same applies to underwear. Pagatonia and other outdoor brands sell moisture wicking/bacteria resisting stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom