Best way to visit Thailand and Vietnam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ren127

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All- I'm new to the boards, and hoping some of you can help. My mother and I are planning a trip to Southeast Asia for March or April 2010. We are just starting to plan and it will either be the two of us and one other couple, or it could end up being a larger group maybe up to 12.

We went to China and HK in 2006 and did a guided tour bus. Not how we normally travel, but we were told we needed to travel with a group tour for language barrier and safety reasons. We really enjoyed the trip, but the cattle drive gets old.

When visiting Thailand and Vietnam (maybe Cambodia and/or Laos as well) do we need to do the guided tour bus thing, or can we travel on our own? Does your suggestion change based on group size? If we need a group tour can anyone suggest a good one? If we put together our own trip can anyone suggest private tour guides in the major cities? How much English is spoken and on signs? How safe are these countries? How easy is it to travel around these countries if we aren't on a guided tour? (We are looking for a Moderate to Luxury trip)

This will be a non-diving group - I'm the only one that will want to dive - (I start my OW class in Sept) I hope to make it to Phuket and get to dive one day while the rest of the group does something else or maybe snorkels)

I'm sure as we start making plans I'll have more questions, but I really appreciate any suggestions and help anyone can offer.

Thanks,
Lauren

Never been to Vietnam but traveling in Thailand is easy to do without guided bus. Much easier than China. The Thai government values tourism a lot and made the country very tourist friendly. I suggest you pick up a travel guide from library near you and start planning with tips from the guide. It would be useful to u.

When you arrive in Bangkok, Thailand, head straight for Koh San Road.

Every other shop along that road sells tour/transport tickets. The backpacking market in that region is huge, so travelling independantly over-land is a safe and convenient option.

From Bangkok, I recommend heading south to Koh Tao (via bus/train and ferry) and then island hoping to Koh Phangan (catch a Full Moon Party if you have the energy) and Koh Samui. From Phangan or Samui arrange either diving or kayaking around the Anthong Marine Park (where the film 'The Beach' was set...don't worry, no pirates there!).

From Samui, you can either fly to Phuket, or again travel via ferry and bus to Surathani/Phuket. Phuket is a great place to start your exploration northwards along the west coast of Thailand. Some great diving there.

After you finish with the west coast, then head north. Use backpacker buses (overnight sleepers are a good option to preserve your time and save money). Plan a stop around Chang Mai.... for jungle treks, tribespeople, rafting etc.

Your biggest option is how to get to Vietnam. You can either go overland via Laos or Cambodia (a chance to stop at Ankor Wat)...or get a cheap and easy flight directly there from CM or BKK.

I recommend flying....and heading for Hanoi first. Vietnam gets nicer as you move south...so start in the north.

Allow a day or two in Hanoi and arrange a tour to Ha Long Bay...an amazing location with limestone karst formations and caves. Every photo you take will look like a postcard. Typical tours are 2-3 nights by boat.

From Hanoi. you can get a multi-stop bus ticket for the entire journey south. This includes the overnight sleeper buses.

When I travelled Vietnam, I chose stops at:

Hue (medieval emporer's palace, tours of DMZ area, Khe San and vietcong tunnel systems),

Nha Trang (dive with Rainbow Divers!),

Hoi An (the tailors city! take photos of stuff you like and have it made in premium silk and leather...including shoe designs... then box it up and post it home).

Dalat. An amazing place, in the central highlands. Wonderful scenery, great local coffee, vegetables and wines. The best kept secret it the 'Stop and Go Cafe'... home to a super-chilled out local poet, philosopher and orchid grower. I never felt so spirtitually chilled as when I visited that place.

Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon)...shopping, bars and restaurants. Museums of the American War. Nice historical buildings.

From Saigon, you can opt to tour the Mekong river delta area....fly back to BKK... or travel overland via bus to Cambodia. This is a chance (again) to visit Angkor Wat. Depending on your remaining time, I would recommend 1-2 days in Phnom Phen (to visit the Killing Fields memorial and S-21 prison...very sobering, but a big experience) and then 2-3 days to reach and explore Angkor Wat.

Getting from Angkor back to BKK is easy by bus/train (unless the border situation is still tense...someone else may have up-to-date info on that).

Enjoy! It's an amazing region to explore. :)

Thank you all so much! I'm glad to hear it sounds like this will be a little easier than getting around in China. The group I'm going with probably won't be up for anything like a backpacking or sleeper bus - we're a little more pampered than that I'm afraid. But I can't wait to start making plans and firm up where we'll be visiting so I can get a suggestion for diving. Really excited to hear about the tailors- I had a bunch of stuff made in Hong Kong but really excited to hear about shoes!! Thanks for that tip! Any other suggestions of must see places are greatly appreciated.

I'd echo that Hanoi is a good place to start a tour of Viet Nam. In the Old Quarter, on the west side of Hoan Kiem Lake, there is is a small cafe that serves excellent French style coffee. You could easily locate a guide there to not only go to Ha Long Bay, as Devon Diver suggests (a few hours east by car, north of Haiphong), but also to line up a trip south of Hanoi (maybe 50-60 klics) to Ben Yen. It's an area of limestone formations similiar to Ha Long Bay but inland.

You rent a small sampan that takes you downstream to the Perfume Pagoda, climb the hills to the Huong Tich grotto and there you'll be transported back to one of the earlier dynastic eras of Viet Nam, ca.1600's. As long as you are not there during the month preceding Tet it is not crowded and very much worth the trip.

CafeonHoanKiemLkHanoi.jpg

Hanoi cafe on Hoan Kiem Lake

HaLongBaycruise.jpg

Ha Long Bay Viet Nam

BenYenricepaddy.jpg

Ben Yen rice paddy

PeacePagodaatBenYen.jpg

Peace Pagoda at Ben Yen

BenYenVN.jpg

Yen Vi River

PerfumePagodacave.jpg

Huong Tich Grotto

PerfumePagodacourtyard.jpg

Perfume Pagoda courtyard

BenYenVietnam.jpg

Ben Yen fishing

You will find the people of Viet Nam to be most gracious. I would not argue that diving is the reason to go to Viet Nam but the country and it's people make it a "must experience" journey. // ww (honorary trau dien :eyebrow: )

Thanks DD--you're right about taking a good camera, it is a wonderful country to photograph in. Great scenic opportunities and people are especially friendly. They almost seem to look honored if you indicate you want to photograph them. Between that, the delicious pho and some 33(3) beer what's not to like? // ww

Yeah...the benefit of hindsight.... I was offered work - diving in Nha Trang...part of me wishes I had stayed there and taken up that job. It is a lovely country!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom