Best way to mark your gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marking does not allows help. I was on a charter where almost everyone on the boat was using Apollo splits, including me. I had my name painted in large letters on my fins.

I didn't get to dive the second dive, because a student used my one of my fins. His fin he left behind was WAY to small for me to use. It was funny when he got back on the boat. He had one fin that fit fine, while the other fin looked like he was wearing a clown's shoe. Does that make me a clown? lol

I use permanent marker with my post code and house number. Items such as torches and computers are lost and are USUALLY found by other divers and if clearly marked tend to get returned.

Another reason is on our boats typically a lot of us have Apeks regulators, Vyper computers, all have yellow 15l tanks, lots have D8R torches and so on - it helps me tell my gear from someone elses on the boat or when gathering kit to go home.

Problem is even "permanent" marker comes off after a few dives. I used car tyre paint for my DSMB and thats been ok for over a year.

My tanks are marked DIR style with my initials and the serial numbers recorded.
My regulators (firsts and seconds) are marked with my initials and the serial numbers recorded.
My fins are marked DIR style with my initials and have a loop of red tape wrapped around the spring straps.
My bags all have a lime green DAN tag on them.
Pretty much everything else gets my initials done in paint pen, including my backplates, wings, masks, storage boxes, anything that I carry into the water with me, etc.

I have heard of DIR diving, what exactly is DIR style marking?

Back
Top Bottom