Best way to find a dive buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaboard is a great place to find folks to dive with - maybe make some posts in your local section on scubaboard - not sure for you which section that would be but take a look at the local dive club sections. There are also some other web sites that try to match up local dive buddies and you can register there as well.
I second the suggestions for checking out local dive clubs - which usually can be found somehow affiliated with (if not sponsored by) local dive stores.
I don't know if LP or the other online stores have a buddy list or not.....

Thank You for all the suggestions! I will check with the local dive shop, and maybe even the street corner with scuba gear LOL.

With regards as to why I'm looking for someone approx same level b/c I'm looking to learn and grow with a buddy. If my buddy is an instructor then I feel like I'm taking advantage of their kindness.

thanks again!!!
& HappyDiving!

If my buddy is an instructor then I feel like I'm taking advantage of their kindness.

You may be, but they offered.

Some of us really enjoy diving with new divers; for me, it endlessly renews the joy I found in my very first dives.

It's definitely a great thing to hook up with a like-minded buddy, who's happy to do some skills work as well as do touring dives. But you will learn far more, and faster, if you are lucky enough to hook up with a more advanced diver who is willing to spend some bottom time with you. I was fortunate enough to be "adopted" by a superb instructor, who corrected my bad habits and helped me hone my skills. Were it not for him, I would not be in any way the diver I am today, in terms of technique or enthusiasm.

Yea, another vote here for LDS (or a diving club). You can meet buddies by posting in your regional section of Scubaboard too. Also there might be other forums specific to your local area. I am on an Australian scuba diving forum too and I notice they have a list of people seeking buddies, so might be the same for you.

I meet most of my buddies on courses or on club trips and have a regular diving buddy now because of that. We have almost the same SAC which is handy :p and have the same goals when diving. And you are right about looking for one to do skills with, it is good to have someone willing spend some time doing them with you. (And to untangle you when you first start learning how to launch an SMB :p Maybe that is just me :))

Be aware too, of how you are as a buddy as well when you do get to start diving with potential regular buddies. If you are enthusiastic and helpful, and communicate well with people then you will be more likely to have people willing to dive with you a lot. Sounds like you are considerate like that though from your posts:) So I doubt you will have too much trouble.

Thanks MarkDML, Saspotato I checked out DiveBuddy and a local forum - LOL saw a girl down the street with scuba t-shirt today and she told me about the local dive shop forum. TSandM good point about practicing with an instructor, I hope I get "adopted" too :)

I found mine by going with the LDS on training dives, and hanging out with them at the local quarry. I got to know a few guys that I can get out diving with.

This is a great place to find people in specific areas ,Koreanfrogger was moving to my area and asked me where the hot spots were, I gave him the list of places, and told him when and where, and we ended up diving a few times together, well until he discovered Dutch Springs, and moved inon the weekends...he met regular buddies out there by hanging out at the t-shirt shop looking for buddies.

The more you get out the more people you'll meet, and then you'll have a tough time explaining to your wife that I'm going diving, again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom