Best way to familiarize yourself with a new computer.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always like the ' intuitive' bit in the discription 😆 K

( yes, found my Mares instructions bit baffling and the dive log bit quite backwards, but it iz easy underwater and clear reading display)

I have that same computer. One thing that has already been said is read the manual I know it's boring but you can read it and manipulate the computer functions as you read them. Also I assume you downloaded the diverlog+ app and used it with the 550 do that with the 770. Also the algorithms for both are the same (I had the 550 first myself) the difference is the transmitter on the 770 vs direct hose connection on the 550.
Do you dive nitrox? That is another consideration also when setting gas mix on the computer that is not part of diving it but in setting it up for dives. I could go into much more but I think you should try to get through the manual it is the best source of information on it. I reread my at least once a year.

This is what I do every time I purchase a new computer. Read the manual, familiarize myself with the buttons and menu's, and then go play with the computer.
That's what I did too with the two DCs I've bought. Then I find someone young to explain it to me....

Sit on your couch with the manual and play with it until the battery needs to be changed! (that's what I did when I got my Perdix)

Pretty much same for me.. Looked for the latest firmware version which was at the time V53. Downloaded the manual and spent a lot of time reading it several times. Then I went ahead and started reading up on GF factors CNA PPO2 and learning the features of my Perdix.
I also changed the mode to OC TEC as that gave me what I wanted onscreen.

Pretty much same for me.. Looked for the latest firmware version which was at the time V53. Downloaded the manual and spent a lot of time reading it several times. Then I went ahead and started reading up on GF factors CNA PPO2 and learning the features of my Perdix.
I also changed the mode to OC TEC as that gave me what I wanted onscreen.
Well, that’s just cheating. 😀. But I did similar.

In my case, I started reading the manual well before I got my Perdix AI. Actually all three manuals, Perdix Manual, AI Manual, and Recreational Manual. I did lots of research before deciding to go with a SW. By the time I got it, I was able to set it up the way I wanted, but a lot of that is likely due to the UI. I’m betting that if I could have figured out how to turn it on, I could have found the important settings just by hitting the buttons.

But not all DCs are quite so intuitive. I’ve never used an Aqualung computer, so I have no idea about the interface. Previous DCs were both Oceanic, and while the interface was not quite as nice as the Perdix, I wouldn’t call it terrible. Mainly just need to remember what Set F, Set A, Set U, and Set T all stand for.

I’ve seen students at checkout dives struggling with their computers. Usually, when that happens, I see that there DC is the one button variety.

I want to thank you all for the info. I read through the manual, rented a tank so I could link it to my wireless and get to play with it. I've had a couple of dives with it so far, and I'm very happy with it. Even though it's similar to the i550, the i770 is quite a bit different. For now, I'm still packing my i550 in my reg bag any time I go diving, just as a fail safe. We'll see if I have the weight to spare on my up coming dive vacation though. I've had it loose connection a couple of times, but being 6'-4" I have easily reach my arms out over 3 feet away from the transmitter. Any time I have lost link, simply pulling my arm back has linked it back in a matter of seconds. Haven't worked with Nitrox yet, as I've jut gotten my cert, but I'll be diving on it during my trip, so I'll work on getting that setting switched over. Again, thanks again for all the pointers and tips everyone.

I want to thank you all for the info. I read through the manual, rented a tank so I could link it to my wireless and get to play with it. I've had a couple of dives with it so far, and I'm very happy with it.
That’s good to hear.
Even though it's similar to the i550, the i770 is quite a bit different. For now, I'm still packing my i550 in my reg bag any time I go diving, just as a fail safe.
Just wanted to make a clarification here. If the i550 stays in your reg bag, it is only a fail safe if you switch to it on dive 1. If you do a dive with only the i770 you can’t switch to the i550 for the next dive. In that case, the i550 wouldn’t have the correct tissue loading.

In order to use the i550 as a backup, it needs to go on the same dives as the primary.

Just wanted to make a clarification here. If the i550 stays in your reg bag, it is only a fail safe if you switch to it on dive 1. If you do a dive with only the i770 you can’t switch to the i550 for the next dive. In that case, the i550 wouldn’t have the correct tissue loading.

In order to use the i550 as a backup, it needs to go on the same dives as the primary.

That's 100% valid. If figure if my i770 dies for some reason, then I'm done for the day, but keeping the i550 on hand for the next day was my intent. Using it to be the difference between a a day that ends early, and a trip that ends early.

That's 100% valid. If figure if my i770 dies for some reason, then I'm done for the day, but keeping the i550 on hand for the next day was my intent. Using it to be the difference between a a day that ends early, and a trip that ends early.
Do you have 2 HP ports on your reg? if so you could have both running together. Should the 770 fail then you have the 550 already running and you can keep diving on the same day. Even if you don't have 2 HP ports I think you could take the 550 in your BC pocket and it will keep up with the N2 load and allow you to keep going.

Back
Top Bottom