Best way to experience Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll admit it, I love Scuba Club Cozumel. Yes, it's an AI...well, almost AI - does not include beverages or tips...but, I can dive my heart out, eat great food, enjoy the ambience of tile and non-cookie-cutter rooms, live without TV or telephones, lie in a hammock, take a tank for a shore dive, practice my Spanish with the patient, helpful staff, and not have to decide where to go for dinner-lunch-breakfast...did I mention dive my heart out?

I live in San Diego, we are taking America West thru Phoenix as it was the only flight that had just a 1 hour layover. Now we are flying into Cancun and taking the ferry over. I was unable to find a single flight going directly to Cozumel that would have taken me less than 24 hours travel time. Going thru Cancun will put me at just 8-9 hours travel time including the ferry.

Lisa0825:
I will say one thing about all-inclusives... depending on what specials are available, sometimes you can save money even if the only things you will use the AI part for are drinks at poolside and breakfast. Personally, I am NOT a morning person, so I prefer to have breakfast at my own hotel, not getting up extra early to go out somewhere. I just went to Cozumel last week, and it was only about $15 a day more for the AI deal, compared with the other hotel we'd been looking at. Considering $4 a day for breakfast, 2-3 drinks while relaxing by the pool, a couple drinks while waiting for my friends to meet to go to dinner, and possibly a midday snack... it totally made up for it. Also, I was RAVENOUS after my first day diving, and we all dropped our equipment and attacked the buffet, still covered in saltwater, with wet clothes and all.

So, it can be worthwhile depending on the deal. All that being said, I do try to go out to as many different restaurants as possible when I go to Coz, because there are so many good ones! So, even if you go AI for the convenience, DO NOT eat every meal on the hotel property, or you will serisouly be missing out!
Good points. I guess I'll have to reconsider the Cozumel Palace for our next trip. I'm just afraid that I'd become lazy, and never leave the resort. One of the reasons we picked the Casa Mexicana was because of their great breakfast buffet. I'm with you when it comes to a convenient breakfast at my hotel.

I'll admit it, I love Scuba Club Cozumel. Yes, it's an AI...well, almost AI - does not include beverages or tips...but, I can dive my heart out, eat great food, enjoy the ambience of tile and non-cookie-cutter rooms, live without TV or telephones, lie in a hammock, take a tank for a shore dive, practice my Spanish with the patient, helpful staff, and not have to decide where to go for dinner-lunch-breakfast...did I mention dive my heart out?
Another great thing about Cozumel! There are so many different ways to enjoy your time there that just about anyone can find what works for them.

So, to the OP, what works for you?

check with your local dive shops, and see if they have any dive trips planned for Cozumel when you are planning on going. Their packages usually include air, hotel and diving, some stay at all inclusives others don't.

Are there any charter services out of Phoenix? Funjet, MLT? surely they don't have long lay-overs, they can't afford it. If not, setup a Funjet vacation thru Dallas (DFW) and come thru here.

My 2 pesos on AI's, Cozumel has some wonderful restaurants and if you stay at a reasonably priced hotel, and aren't a big drinker, you can probably break even on the price of an AI. Eat breakfast at the hotel on dive days, and eat in town for other meals and help support the community.

Tourism is still very low from pre-Wilma/Emily days and I belive that the best thing to do is to help out as many different businesses as you can in the short time you have to spend there.

Wow, lots of great info! We were mostly planning on staying at an AI just due to being novice divers and the ease that we believe comes on with it. We both like to try new things, and definately wouldn't rely on it for all of our meals etc. We love to go exploring.

Thanks for all the advice! Flying to Cancun first seems like a much more reasonable alternative. However, I don't know much about the geography... The ferry takes you to Playa del Carmen? Where do you go from there? Or is that right next to Cozumel?

You you will need to bus, shuttle or taxi from the airport in Cancun to Playa del Carmen, 40 min to an hour....then the Ferry takes you to Cozumel 30 to 45 min ride.
I would really reccomend ordering a map from http://cancunmap.com/ It is really awesome and lists places to eat, things to do and soooo much more. We ordered the Playa del carmen map, the Cozumel map and the reef diving/snorkeling map.

scubasherry:
You you will need to bus, shuttle or taxi from the airport in Cancun to Playa del Carmen, 40 min to an hour....then the Ferry takes you to Cozumel 30 to 45 min ride.
I would really reccomend ordering a map from http://cancunmap.com/ It is really awesome and lists places to eat, things to do and soooo much more. We ordered the Playa del carmen map, the Cozumel map and the reef diving/snorkeling map.

Including logistics, I'd count on about three hours travel time from Cancun airport to Cozumel.

Moodiejeff:
Can't help ya on the airfare but I can tell you one thing... The best way to experience Cozumel is NOT by staying at an All-Inclusive.

Get out, explore the town and the restaurants... just my opinion. YMMV

Right on the money Jeff. We were there from June 28th. to July 4th. this last month and stayed at the Occidental Grand. Took some of my employees on a company trip as part of their bonus and this is where they wanted to stay. We were scheduled to do this trip last Oct.21st.at the Presidente but Wilma got there before us.

Occidental was ok, I guess, it was like being on a cruise ship,LOTS of families, lots of food which was very good but, I didnt care for the beach area, no place but the sand to set your drink down. And if you were sitting under one of the palapas, forget about drink service, had to go get it yourself. Too far from the city, cab ride was 18 to 20 bucks one way. I made sure my guests had lunch and dinner at least a couple of times away from the hotel.

To me at least, going to Cozumel is staying at the Presidente, going to the Chedraui as soon as I get there and stocking up, eating downtown and diving with Careyitos. Anything else pales by comparison.

Mawg:
To me at least, going to Cozumel is staying at the Presidente...
Oh man how I agree with you on that one! I can't wait to see it after the remodeling but I'm scared to know what the shore dive looks like :(

Hey Antonio... has anyone from Scuba Du checked out the reef in front of the Presidente? If anyone on the board would know (or could find out) I guess it would be you.

Moodiejeff:
Oh man how I agree with you on that one! I can't wait to see it after the remodeling but I'm scared to know what the shore dive looks like :(

Hey Antonio... has anyone from Scuba Du checked out the reef in front of the Presidente? If anyone on the board would know (or could find out) I guess it would be you.

Yes. The shore dive in front of the suites is nice. I dropped by the hotel when I was there. Four construction firms are currently working. It is slow going but I'm guessing it'll be November when they open in a limited way. I cant wait to get back. Hope they bring back my favorite bar.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom