Best way to dry a drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hoopa

Contributor
Reaction score
So just got my new drysuit-- and went for dive-- loved it :D ... After i got home and washed the suit and got it all clean.. But here is my question.. What is the best way to dry the suit? Putting the suit on a dry suit hanger would put a lot of stress on the shoulder area and pull down on the shoulders.. I cant put it outside cause the sun is bad for the seals.. Cant lay it down on the floor cause A the dogs will step on it and lay on it and do whatever else dogs do -- and B the water would soak through the towel and get the floor wet.. I hung it over a shower curtain rail-- but that seemed too small and was a bit more aggressive of a bend of the zipper then i would have liked..

So... Any thoughts?

We hang ours on dry suit hangers -- they have broad surfaces to absorb the load. We've never had any damage to any of the suits that seemed in any way related to storing them hanging up.

turn it inside out and hang it over the shower door or curtain... towel on floor optional...

I've always folded mine over a drying rack, pretty much the same as throwing it over the shower curtain rod... I make sure to fold it just below the zipper.

You could also hang it by the feet. I believe they make hangars that you slide the boots into.

My hanger is not only broad, it has a nice notch that can be used for the suspenders. If you put the suspenders on the hanger, they will accept most of the weight. I don't have any concerns about the hanging weight.

You can cut down on the time it takes to dry considerably by using a fan to blow air on it.

My hanger is not only broad, it has a nice notch that can be used for the suspenders. If you put the suspenders on the hanger, they will accept most of the weight. I don't have any concerns about the hanging weight.

You can cut down on the time it takes to dry considerably by using a fan to blow air on it.

Is this a hanger you made or can you purchase it?

I have a "Hang Air" but rarely turn the fan on. The outer zippers get closed a couple of inches to take some of the load off the zipper. I want our suits hung open so both sides dry at the same time. Won't happen if draped over something. We also have a shower curtain rod suspended from the ceiling with chain in our second bathroom. Everything gets hung after washing. The forced air heater cooks the bathroom with the door closed. In the winter the garage is cold and nothing would ever dry. Plus I don't want moisture in my garage as there is a lot of bare metal, as in probably over a ton of raw material.

I have been meaning commit all this to writing for a while and your question prompted me to do so while hurricane Irene has us distracted. Here is what works for us.

Pete

Is this a hanger you made or can you purchase it?
Mine is a ScubaPro Universal hanger that I purchased at a dive shop. There lower part of the shoulder is flexible, and you spread it to let the straps slide through. There are other brands that do the same thing. By the way, all the do dads in the middle are removed and then reattached to customize the hanger to whatever purpose you intend.

Word of advice, do not fold your zippers. When I bought my suit, I was told by the LDS to fold the arms in ( back zip ). After approx 1.5 years and approx 40 dives, teeth on each fold ( both sides ) were loose and ready to fail. $ 375 later, new zipper and I do not fold the arms in past the zipper. Zipper stays flat at all times. I know this isn't your origional question, but thought you should know this.

Back
Top Bottom