Best way to dry a drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Word of advice, do not fold your zippers. When I bought my suit, I was told by the LDS to fold the arms in ( back zip ). After approx 1.5 years and approx 40 dives, teeth on each fold ( both sides ) were loose and ready to fail. $ 375 later, new zipper and I do not fold the arms in past the zipper. Zipper stays flat at all times. I know this isn't your origional question, but thought you should know this.

I see by your profile that you have a Nex-Gen suit, was your zipper replaced with the plastic tizip? I had the same issue with my suit and now have the plastic zipper.

yes, plastic zip. So far , so good. I keep it well waxed and no folds. Pain in the $^% when transporting, but manageable. I've had numerous buddies comment how easy it is to zip.

Aqua Andy, just thought of this. How many dives did your first zipper last ?

Word of advice, do not fold your zippers. When I bought my suit, I was told by the LDS to fold the arms in ( back zip ). After approx 1.5 years and approx 40 dives, teeth on each fold ( both sides ) were loose and ready to fail. $ 375 later, new zipper and I do not fold the arms in past the zipper. Zipper stays flat at all times. I know this isn't your origional question, but thought you should know this.
@coldwaterdufus: For a shoulder-entry drysuit, I can see that keeping the zipper flat at all times is possible.
For a front-entry drysuit, I don't know any divers who keep the zipper "flat" even during transportation. Most hang them up or drape them over a rack.

I've had a Bare Nex-Gen for several years now. I've always stored it rolled up with the arms tucked under the rest of the suit. This places the zipper in a gentle bend which, I would think, doesn't place too much stress on it (although storing the zipper flat would be even better for minimizing stress on the teeth). Aside from normal wear on the zipper (mainly at either end near the zipper stoppers), it's performed well over the years. To date, I've put about 300 dives on the original zipper. My girlfriend had an identical drysuit that sustained damage to a few zipper teeth when something heavy (scuba gear, heavy suitcase?) was placed on top of it during a ferry ride to Catalina Island (CA). Since then, we hand-carry the drysuits whenever possible or pack them in rigid containers during transportation.

Aqua Andy, just thought of this. How many dives did your first zipper last ?

Around 40 to 50 dives, first and second zipper replacement was at the 1.5 year mark. I'm not sure how long the tizip will last but it doesn't look as if it can be damaged in the same way the old zippers had failed. My NexGen has become a back up suit, I purchased a fusion bullet while my NexGen was out for service.

Sorry , we seem to have hijacked this thread, unintentional

Bubbletruble: rolled with the arms tucked under is the way the LDS told me to fold it. Caused problems for my suit. When not in use, the suit is stored by itself on a flat shelf with nothing else on top of it, I've never flown anywhere to dive with my suit, always drove and it takes up the back seat in the SUV, all by it's lonesome when I can or else on top of what's in the back seat. I've been very careful not to put anything on it, light or heavy. I can certainly see how a heavy object on it could cause a quicker problem to develop.

Aqua Andy: similar time frame and number of dives as my dry suit, but you've replaced your's twice ? I still like my Nex Gen

Yes I have had the zipper replaced twice, first time with the standard BDM zipper then the second time with the TiZip. It's just not practical for me to keep the suit laid out flat, I do make sure it is kept on top of everything else though. I still like the NexGen and still believe it is a great suit at a good price point but I have been coveting the fusion since before I purchased the NexGen. I have been doing a lot more solo diving lately and thought now is the time for a self donning suit:D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom