Best Value Dive Vacation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bburns24

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been looking at Dive Centers around the world and have seen some excellent values - Vietnam, Nicaragua, Bonaire --

Nicaragua for example: Flight LA to Managua flight transfer to Big Corn Island, Hotel 14nights and 20 Dives - $1200US pp/dbl occupancy.

Bonaire: Flight LA to Bonaire 14nights accommodation, 12 days unlimited shore diving, incl. upgrade to NITROX for FREE, incl. 1 rental car for 13 days, incl. transfer and tourist-tax - $1750US pp/dbl occupancy

Can you find any better values?

Bonaire: Flight LA to Bonaire 14nights accommodation, 12 days unlimited shore diving, incl. upgrade to NITROX for FREE, incl. 1 rental car for 13 days, incl. transfer and tourist-tax - $1750US pp/dbl occupancy

Can you find any better values?

Sure:

Bonaire for just a week!

To me, 12 days of diving in Bonaire is too much. Especially if you're looking to do nothing but dive.

On a recent trip there my buddy and I did 32 dives in 6 days of diving. We were done. What you need to keep in mind if you've not done Bonaire is that while there's an awful lot of sites, they are all pretty much contiguous. (eg: if you do "ol Blue" there's really nothing different to see at "Country Garden" which is right next to it.)

If you're happy to do two dives a day, then go for two weeks. But then you're not really maxing out your $/dive ratio, which appears to be your goal.

you're not really maxing out your $/dive ratio, which appears to be your goal.

That's the thing I didn't read or get from the OP. Diving seemed to be acceptable at twice a day.

1.4 dives per day off of Corn would make me stir crazy. Unless diving was secondary. The main attraction would have to be Rum or Skin Cancer.

Bonaire... was there accommodations involved for that price?

Start figuring in food as well. An AI resort is the cheapest way to get maximum diving. On Bonaire, you at least want a breakfast included.

It costs progressively more money to fly long distances or to be taken to dive sites by boat. If you can shore dive in the Caribbean, that would be some easy math.

Have you checked on the Keys? I'm hearing about some great deals around here right now. Two tank dives and rooms for $150 per person is not unheard of and I've been hearing about a few even better.

Where does "quality of dives" enter into the equation?

Ya. I agree with the diving in Bonaire being the same site different name and I couldn't walk away from a meal without paying $40-60 per person... but the apartment has a stove. The cost doesn't include breakfast but included for $12 extra per person - of course accommodations are included.

I've never been to Nicaragua diving. Rumors is Big Corn Island is what "Caribbean diving" was 30 years ago. I understand from RoatanMan (if you know Karen Footit say Hi!) that the diving would be same thing over (read boring) - same as Bonaire. This is where quality = value. I equate value as quality over price. This can be subjective...

Most of the time I'm happy just to get in the water and honestly I don't have family to tow along, but if I was married looking to vacation and enjoy my days I could imagine the dive vacation to be a better value than a lot of places, New Orleans, San Fran, Orlando, LA. Dive vacations are more exotic and since they are out of the way a better (can I say) value.

I'd like to get an exact quote on the Keys...

Packages can be good deals but sometimes the best deals are not. I would look at some other destinations.

If you want a cheap week of diving, go to Cozumel. Flights that are relatively cheap, small rustic hotels, inexpensive food and small dive ops are the norm. Doing more that 2 dives a day takes some work though, most dive ops are done by noon, some do afternoon dives but have a minimum number of people required in order to send the boat out. Look at Caradonna Dive Adventures - Dive Travel and Vacations and www.bayadventures.com for deals on some resorts, but you can also check out Cozumel for some smaller hotels. Also, many dive ops there have packages with hotels.

Belize and Utila also have some smaller hotels and good deals.

If you want to dive dive dive, then I would look at going to Roatan and staying at CCV resort. It is a bit more expensive, but the opportunity to dive 24/7 right there to some fabulous walls makes it a better value. All meals are included so no need to go hunting for restaurants or waiting to get served.... dive eat dive eat.... all day and night long! Welcome to CoCo View Resort

Bonaire is a good value if you want to dive dive dive, but if you are only looking for a couple of dives per day, I'd go elsewhere. Flights are expensive and food is expensive and restaurants are slow. There are only a couple of small grocery stores on island which are stocked once a week when the supply boat arrives so you can't get everything you would get at a US grocery store. I thought we would cook meals most nights on our trip but found the grocery store to be lacking... we ended up only buying some bread, cheese, pre-sliced ham, beer, and sodas. If you go to Bonaire, take lots of granola bars, snacks, and gatorade powder with you for between meals. I love Bonaire, but I don't consider it a "deal".

From LA, you could probably get a good deal going to Philippines. I would look at Caradonna again for that. They can work the airfare into the price of a package for you.

Last edited:
Staying at Sand Dollar for a week in January: 2 people @$1149 pp for a studio w/ kitchen. Includes breakfast, 6 boat dives, unlimit. shore diving, nitrox. Based on prior experience, we will prepare all our own lunches and about half the dinners. Airfare is what it is and is likely to be different for us than for you. Pretty decent deal, IMHO.

At CCV in August, the price was $1100/wk/pp. This is AI. We used air miles for the airfare. Not a bad deal, either.

Agreed, good inexpensive diving, go to Mexico, Cozumel. No car is required, food is reasonable, there are some hotel packages where you can still all inclusive or meal plan, and plenty to do if all you are wanting is minimal diving of 2 dives a day.

Stateside, Key Largo diving is GREAT. However, you will have more expenses. Unless you take a shuttle from Miami and stay some place that is close to activity, is can be challenging getting around the Keys without a car. There are a few places like, Amy Slattery's that have little kitchenette's in the rooms, they have diving ALL day, including some night dives, and provide continental style breakfast outside while you are getting your gear together. . . .

check out my latest video for mega diving: YouTube - Manta Salsa Dancing on the Solmar V in Socorro Isles

Back
Top Bottom