Best trip insurance for cancellation due to inclement weather/hurricane?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A few years ago, I was scheduled to go on a LOB out of Nassau (the Aquacat) during hurricane season. I bought trip cancellation insurance from CAA (AAA). It did not have a specific LOB clause, but IIRC it DID cover trips "canceled or delayed due to major named storms" or similar wording.

A few years ago, I was scheduled to go on a LOB out of Nassau (the Aquacat) during hurricane season. I bought trip cancellation insurance from CAA (AAA). It did not have a specific LOB clause, but IIRC it DID cover trips "canceled or delayed due to major named storms" or similar wording.

Yes the travel insurance I purchased from IMG Travel SE covers for same, trips canceled or delayed due to inclement weather/hurricanes etc. I would prefer the Juliet to offer credit for future trip but as long as I'm covered that's the important part. For our trips on Aggressor I wasn't quite as concerned just b/c they've always been able to provide credit for a future trip which is all I really want.

For potential future reference, other stories on the board indicated that getting compensation, or compensation you can use, from Aggressor is not guaranteed. I also had good trips with them but have read that that experience is not guaranteed.

For potential future reference, other stories on the board indicated that getting compensation, or compensation you can use, from Aggressor is not guaranteed. I also had good trips with them but have read that that experience is not guaranteed.

I have read some other posts where people have said they did not get compensated from Aggressor. I don't know the details behind it, but I will say that Aggressor was very good to us when they canceled our Belize trip in August of 2016 due to a hurricane, and worked hard to reschedule. As a matter of fact, they were trying to get us on another boat for that week in August with a different itinerary, but everyone was booked. We ended up rescheduling for October that year.

One of our dive buddies who probably does 4-5 trips on Aggressor yearly has rescheduled all of his canceled trips on Aggressor from this past year, receiving credit for all of his canceled trips.

I know nothing is guaranteed, just saying that in my experience, and someone I know, Aggressor has been very good about providing future credit. Maybe the Juliet just can't afford to do that being a much smaller operation, which I understand. Getting my money back is great, with appropriate trip insurance, but just feels like more of a hassle, putting in a claim etc. Maybe not, but b/c I've never had to file a claim, it just seems more of a hassle than simply rescheduling

Glad to hear that your Aggressor experiences have been good and that they took care of you. As a liveaboard devotee, having a dependable company and healthy liveaboard pool to choose from is ideal.

As I mentioned, I had some great trips and my interest is that they are always dependable so we can use them without worry so I don't have to increase my fixed trip costs from insurance costs or have to bet on whether they are. I understand it is a business but feel I'm expecting reasonable responsibility from them but the definition of reasonable can be where the problem lies. :)

I think part of where things would go wrong was the notion that using Aggressor gave you the benefit of being under their umbrella, but for some situations where that was tested, the response changed to all individual franchisees ultimately control their own boat or either that the compensation offered didn't cover the inconvenience or cost considerable additional money to take advantage of.

Regardless, hopefully all this discussion is for naught because you just have a great trip. Anyway, my purpose was just to be sure a fellow forum user had the whole picture to make decisions on.

Back
Top Bottom