Best time to dive WA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello -

I would like to come to the West coast and spend a few days diving. I was wondering what is the best time / season to come and dive Washington coast? I am interested in wild life photography and would like to photograph the Octopus (if I am lucky). Also ... do you guys get orca whales?

This is not a trip that I would be able to make very frequently so I would like to come when the viz and ocean conditions are the best. I dont mind cold water diving so temperature will not be an issue.

Any tips on diving this area will be grately appreciated.

Kind regards -

Sinbad

Really, the best time to dive the PNW is in the fall. Visibility tends to be much better, but there is still a lot of life in the water, and the weather is generally still good. September and early October are often very beautiful.

Before you book a trip, talk to one of us locals, though, because you not only need the right time of year, you need the right time of the MONTH. If you show up during a period of large tidal exchanges in midday, it will severely limit the sites that are feasible for you to dive.

You will always be able to shoot Octos, there are lots of sites that have octos available.

Now orcas, well if you go in summer at lime kiln point or in that area of san juan Island you can dive with them, but you better be ready at a perfect time. there is a pod that hits the hood canal once in awhile, of course they are there to feed on seals, so not such a great Idea since you can be a meal also.

Now there was some orca's hammering on a gray whale also on the east side of whidbey.

They are awesome, the best way is to fly out to where they are comming through and jump off boat and I mean in 1 minute and hang on anchor line at no more than 30' and they will come and inspect you.

Good luck to you on this and research for best times and you will be rewarded, I have dove with just about every sea creature here in our waters and none of them has ever bothered me except blue sharks when spearfishing tuna on the coast. Now if you want a big fish, you should be in the water with sunfish on the coast, they are as big as a car also.

Happy Diving

of course they are there to feed on seals, so not such a great Idea since you can be a meal also.

Theoretically ... yes I understand the remote risk. But have there been any Orca attacks on divers? Could the reason be the limited interaction that divers all over the world have with these creatures? Case studies on those attacks might provide us info on what we can do to minimize such mis-happenings.

I am very excited about diving there. I have not travelled much for diving purposes but I think the best diving a lot of times is found away from over advertised beach destinations.

What has been your experience?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom