Best time to dive Papua New Guinea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bergie

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hope this is the right place to post this question. Between February and mid July when is the best time to dive PNG? Recommendations for a live aboard? Star Dancer? FeBrina? Golden Dawn? ????

Bergie

When the cannibals aren't hungry! I remember back in the 70s it was reported that Jean-Michel Cousteau was "lost" off PNG and there was talk of cannibalism. He was due on Catalina Island in 2 weeks for a project I was working on with him. When he arrived, he said only the media thought he was lost... he knew where he was all the time!

Hi Bergie

It depends on what you want. One thing though do not go until March preferably late March.

March/April/May dive in Milne Bay for a great mixture of pelagics and macro. this is my favourite area and if I could afford it I would go every year.

June/July dive out of Kavieng for large pelagic life but be aware of the currents. Several drift dives that can be spectacular. An American dive buddy I had was passed by a sailfish about 2 metres from him on a drift up a gully.

If you are going on a liveaboard it will be great regardless as long as you dont go in February.

Thanks Ardy. We are looking at Peter Hughes 9 Nights, one Way Rabaul-Father's-Kimbe-Walindi. What do you think?

Also, how do you get back to Port Moresby form Walindi? I assume fly. What air port?

Also, how do you get back to Port Moresby form Walindi? I assume fly. What air port?

All flights to points anyway in PNG seem to connect in Port Moresby. It's a good idea to get some travel help from someone familiar with Air Nuigini's peculiarities. My guess is that the liveaboard or Walindi plantation can help you.

We booked the March 23 to April 1st trip. They have a special running for that trip and the prior trip...$2,495 for any cabin. That's $1,000 discount.

We are using a travel agent so I hope they get it all correct...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom