Best time to buy gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishmonkey1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Being a new diver, I do not have a full set of gear, and I was wondering what the best time of year to buy gear is, in your experience? Do any specific sites have sales around a certain time of year?

I'm with Net Doc-buying your own gear will allow you to dive more often with gear that fits you and your dive style.

You can do well with a good "package deal" from a reputable retailer online or local.

This website has a large number of experienced divers who will, usually, offer their opinions and suggest good buys etc.

Spend a day or two looking at search features here since this subject comes up often.

When you have cash to spend most places have "sales".

Good luck and good diving.

Scubapro seems to have their close outs at the beginning of the year. I bought a very nice Scubapro regulator for a vastly discounted price simply because it had different colored plastics than this year's model. I noticed that a lot of other regulator folks also had sales for Black Friday and close outs after Christmas. When recently shopping for a wetsuit I noticed that wetsuit close outs have begun as they rollout new designs just before beach season starts. Also consider used gear, for which a good deal is always available. :)

I bought the most expensive part of my gear, my regulator set in a christmas sale. I am in Europe, so seasonal changes are different, but the US is probably the same, you might save a few $$ on a black friday or christmas deal.

Anyway, if you want to save and not afraid of second hand gear, check out ebay at any time of the year.

An other aspect of waiting/not waiting for sales: if you dive in rental gear, you pay the rent every time until you buy your own stuff. This can be quite costy...

When you have the money to afford it.

You would think that Christmas is the best time for discounted gear, but not necessarily. You'll usually find package deals (ie: free download cable with computer purchase packaged in a nice box) during the Holidays, but not really clearance-type deals. Manufacturers like to launch rebates in the spring to boost sales going into summer. For instant, Sealife just launched a $100 rebate. We like to keep our inventory fresh, so we discount gear all year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom