Best time of year for trip to Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

knight11

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm interested in taking a trip to Roatan next year and wanted to get opinions on the best time to go. I want to go beteen April and August.

My criteria for selecting the best time include

Not too crowded (I'll be staying at FI)
Temperatures neither VERY hot nor too cold (80 deg F - 90 deg F)
Fewest insects - does the sand flea problem vary by time of year?
Best visibility
Greatest fish life

I was leaning toward early May. How would this time fit in with my list, especially the first one?

What would the water temperature be around that time of year?

knight11:
Hi,

I'm interested in taking a trip to Roatan next year and wanted to get opinions on the best time to go. I want to go beteen April and August.

My criteria for selecting the best time include

Not too crowded (I'll be staying at FI)
Avoid Semana de Santa and any other major holiday celebrated by South Americans and Italians. That represents the bulk of their en masse customers.
Temperatures neither VERY hot nor too cold (80 deg F - 90 deg F)
November December is your best shot
Fewest insects - does the sand flea problem vary by time of year?
Not really, it depends upon rain- if it has been real dry, they are less active. But think about it- you're on a rain forest island. FIBR and other South side resorts are the least affected. FIBR has a lot of wood structures and boats- that attracts them.

Look at: http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/ccv/vpost?id=76

Best visibility
Periods of no rain, precisely at high tide.

Greatest fish life
That will vary in character each month. Every season there is something different. From Whale Sharks to Coral spawn to the best time for little critters- all discussed here before and available thru archive. I have been diving there during every month each year, it's marginally predictable but always interesting! Look for the micro stuff!

I was leaning toward early May. How would this time fit in with my list, especially the first one?

I like May. Good chance for Whale Sharks.

What would the water temperature be around that time of year?

Usualy it runs 80-82 degrees, maybe higher.

I've been there in Oct, March and April and March was my favorite time of those because of the weather. But it is during their prime season and the prices are usually higher. March and April is also sea lice season. I have severe reactions to them while others have none so my next trip will be in May to avoid them. From all Doc has said, May seems to be the best for us.

The visibility at FI and CCV doesn't change that much, depends on the winds. Again, May is the best for that.

since the south side of Roatan isn't protected and the locals still harvest fish from it, you won't be seeing any large fish other than an occasional grouper sighting. However this May brought Orcas and Whale Sharks!

The no-see-ums have a 2 week life cycle and can't be predicted, they are always there! Stay away from wet wood, if you can! Follow Doc's advice in the link he provided for the best results.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom