Best time for Mozambique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adriaan557

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi Guys,

We want to go diving in Mozambique - maybe do a combination of Bazaruto (coral reefs ) and Tofu (Manta's and Whalesharks). Can anyone tell me when the best times are to go - Weather wise, visibility and chances of seeing Manta's/whalesharks? Dive information on Mozambique seem to be very scarse on the net.

We were thinking of May or October/November next year. My wife is not very fond of cold water, so I don't know if the water might be too cold in May?

Your help will be much appreciated!

Adriaan

I have been at both times of the year you mention. Avoid Jan - March as you could get hit by hurricanes. Water temp will be fine, depends on what you call cold. Usually above 23 deg C.
Mantas and whalesharks seem to be around throughout the year.

I have been at both times of the year you mention. Avoid Jan - March as you could get hit by hurricanes. Water temp will be fine, depends on what you call cold. Usually above 23 deg C.
Mantas and whalesharks seem to be around throughout the year.
Thanks Andrew,

Whats the temperature on land like, we live in London(where the weather is crapp most of the time), so we like warm weather when we go on holiday. Is there any difference in visibility between May and Ocotber?

Cheers,
Adriaan

Viz can vary at ay time of the year, it's difficult to predict. We had great vis in April, not so great in Nov but people who went either side of our Nov trip had 25m.

The air temp will be warm, milder in April/May but still in the mid 20's. It will get a bit cooler in the evening, but still warm enough to wear shorts and t shirt.

We dived with Tofo Scuba - ::.. Tofo Scuba ..:: - Home . Maybe mail them to ask about conditions.

It is warm year round. After all, even the extreme south of Moçambique have tropical climate (even if the south is near the outer limits of the tropics). Viz is usually not great in Tofo, but that is what makes it so attractive for filter feeders (mantas and whalesharks). It's the same all over the world where you reliably can see them. You can get lucky with periods of good vizibility. On the other hand manta and whaleshark activity might be a little slower then. As Andy said, Tofo is one of the few places where you can see them year round. Water and air temperatures are higher in november-april and that is normally considered the 'peak' season. We had 26 Celcius in the sea in november last year and it rises a couple of degrees in december/january. Air temps were more or less shorts and t-shirt around the clock.
Don't have any Bazaruto experience, but would expect clearer water and more coral. Probably better diversity on fish, but less mantas and whalesharks. In short, more 'classical' coral reef diving than what you find in Tofo.

good luck

/christian

Will be diving Moz next week.

Then SA for a week to cool off with a few Tigers. Who says there are no tigers in Africa?! :)

Seadeuce

Will be diving Moz next week.

Then SA for a week to cool off with a few Tigers. Who says there are no tigers in Africa?! :)

Seadeuce
Hey Seadeuce, looking forward to hear how it was!

Adriaan

For those of you that are interested...

On Andrew's advice I contacted Tofu Scuba and this is what they had to say:

April/May: visibility 10-15m, water temp 23 degrees, very stable, generally no wind or rain.
October/November : This is high season for us so normally very busy. Visibility 15-20m, water temp 26 degrees, hot with the odd shower of rain.
The Manta’s and Whale Sharks have been here all year round for the last 3 years, the ‘said’ Whale sharks season ins November to March.

Adriaan

Back
Top Bottom