Best time for Keys Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverTimOH

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is there a best or worst time to dive in the Keys from a weather and/or water clarity standpoint?

My favorite times in the Keys are the summer to the fall. The topside conditions are usually very smooth and water is warm. I've been blown out by poor marine conditions on several winter trips, so I don't make them anymore. I also live near the water further up the coast and if we get acceptable marine conditions on weekends in the winter, I just dive locally. In Jupiter, water clarity is a bit better in the winter but not dramatically so; I'd assume the same is true in the Keys.

Is there a best or worst time to dive in the Keys from a weather and/or water clarity standpoint?

Believe it or not, hurricane season produces the best diving conditions down there. When there isn't a hurricane, the water is warm, vis is 100'+ and the sea is flat like glass. June and july produce some really good conditions, but August and September can be phenomenal. All is dependent on the wind witch.

Middle of June,,,best kept secret of florida diving !!

Whenever I am able to find time to get there is the best time.

Do bring a warmer wet suit in the middle of the winter.

I cannot speak for the rest of the Keys, but Summer is the best time to dive Key West hands down. The water is warm and flat. A a bonus there are fewer people in town and the general pace of things is a lot less hectic (well, except for mini-season). Vis is a crap shoot regardless of the time of year.

I have had great dives in the summer in Keys but really crappy dives in the Winter. Jupiter has been good to me in November though I did not get to see the lemon sharks it is famous for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom