Best suit thickness for 60 -80F

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BB1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I will be diving in water temperatures ranging between 60 in mid winter and 80 in summer and personally never want to be in water cold enough for a dry suit - brrrr!

Any recommendations on wetsuit thickness for up to 3 dives in a day?

I don't tend to feel the cold as much as the wife does and have been wondering about a 3mm merino lined one that I could maybe backup with a hood or vest with hood when needed?

Any thoughts appreciated.

I'm going to poke the beehive here:

Drysuit.

By the time you add accessories that would make you comfortable over 3-dive days from 60-80, you're probably not far from a drysuit cost anyways. Something like a White's Fusion or DUI 30/30 Tropical is lightweight and can be layered to keep you warm in any condition.

Good luck!

The 3mm merino-lined Pinnacle suit will be fine for summer diving. You'll probably need to layer more than just a hooded vest for diving in 60°F water, though.

Realistically you're probably going to have to get more than one suit to dive comfortably in the conditions you describe. One strategy might be to get a 7mm and see how that goes. I dive my 7mm + hood in a water temp range of 65°F to 75°F.

Van Isle makes a good point about getting a drysuit. When the water temps get down to 60°F, you'll wish you had one.

I was thinking the same thing, 7mm , and for warm temps no hood, gloves, thin boots ... thick is better than the other way around I think.. but yeah, probably need 2 suits ...

Thanks guys!

I can do the 3mm in summer with no merino and don't feel the cold.

Dry suit = no thanks. To much trouble for me to bother with. (at the mo anyways)

7mm is to thick for my liking. Will try a semi-dry 5mm and see how I go for now as i can always add a vest to that.

If it feels to cold at 60F then I'll just take some time out from diving - winter doesn't last to long around here thankfully!

60-80F is a huge temperature swing and will likely require two suits.

Personally, if the water temp is 80 degrees, and not a deco dive, I'll sometimes dive in a t-shirt and wakeboarding shorts. Otherwise, a 4/3mm full suit, which I'll wear down to about 70 degrees or so.

If the water temp is below 70 degrees, I'll wear a drysuit and appropriate underwear. I started diving in water temps in the 50's, using a 7mm wetsuit and hooded vest. One dive is doable, but after a couple of dives, I was downright cold.

SoCal gets water temps around 60 degrees, and on the boat dives lots of people skip a dive or two (4 dive trips) just to stay warm while wearing a 7mm wetsuit.

Take it for what it's worth.

I would go with layering. I Dive with a 3mm Wetwear full suit (I have their good material that is nitrogen composed) the full suit has seals and long arm and leg zippers. I wear this in the summer and through the fall. When the water temps start to drop, I put a short sleeve shorty on top. My shorty is 5mm in the body and 3mm in the arms. This gives me 8mm in the torso of warmth. It works out awesome. I always have full body coverage and I don't have to buy all different jumpsuits for different temperatures.

the temp variances are too wide for one suit. The drysuit option sounds like a possibility since all you have to do is change undergarments to adjust to temp. Wet suit wise would require two suits. I dive in SoCal and take my word for it you will need a 7MM if you are at 60F especially since you will be experiencing thremoclines if you dive at depth. Wrse thing is to dive cold; ruins the day of diving.

From 65-75 I dive a 5mm with 5mm hood. From 75 up I dive a 3/2 or just board shorts and rash guard depending on the type/length of dive.

Below 65...I don't dive :D I would agree with a dry-suit by that point though.

But it all depends on your tolerance for cold. I know guys that can dive springs in nothing but a shorty. I don't have a lot of "bio-prene" on me though so I don't do cold very well.

60-70 degree water I wear a 7mm fullsuit, 5mm hood, and gloves. A hooded vest would be nice, too. I have used a drysuit for several dozen dives and didn't really enjoy the extra wt needed.
70-80 degree water I wear a 5mm fullsuit, 3mm hood or beanie.
80+ degrees I wear a 3mm fullsuit, always.

I am female, smaller build. My husband is 5'8" and 175lbs and goes by the same guidelines as I do and is very happy.

I have been in lower than 60 degrees in my 7mm suit and froze by buns off. :eek: All I could think about the whole dive was how much I wanted to get out.

ScubaToys is a good place to pick up a hooded vest right now.... they have some good ones on sale.

robin:D

Back
Top Bottom