Best suit for San Diego?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crispix

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I'm recently OW certified (and completely addicted -- can't wait to go out again) and am starting to buy my own gear. My first purchase is going to be a wetsuit. I'm going to be diving in San Diego, strictly recreational, and I'll mostly dive in summer and fall when the weather is warmest. (Winter is for trips to Hawaii!)

I was out last week (boat dive to the kelp) using a rental 7mm full suit down to 50ft and water temp in the mid 50's below the thermocline. I was very comfortable, but the extra weights needed for the thick suit were a pain.

Prior to that I was at La Jolla Shores in the same 7mm suit and felt a bit too warm, even at depth.

So I'm thinking maybe a quality 5mm suit is ok for San Diego, more comfortable, and easier on the weights? What do other San Diego divers tend to use? Is it a good idea to layer something thin with a 5mm suit over it? Or am I nuts to go with anything less than 7mm or 7/5?

And what's the best wetsuit material to get? I'll gladly pay a bit more for quality, but don't want to overspend on something I don't really need. Thanks for the help!

Crispix

After years of diving wet, I moved to a dry suit and have never been happier and in the water. Even in a 7mm with a hood, the thermocline at shores can still bite. If your set on diving wet, get one with the hood integrated, you'll be warmer.

Almost everyone in your location uses a 7mm suit. A very few will use a 5mm but not for muliple dives and not when it cools down. If you are to warm in a 7mm suit you can always flash in some cool water, just grab at the neck and pull. I think a 5mm is of marginal use.

Also remember the suits will age. They compress and loose insulation value over time. I use a 7mm and hooded vest year round. water temp varies from low to high 50's at depth. Don't judge llocal conditions by a couple dives. low 50's is typical. Big difference between 51 and 56.

All that said some people can use a 5mm suit, not many. Are you typically always warm while others a cold? if that is mostly the case them maybe you would us a 5mm but you'd be amoung the 2% or so that do.

Most pepole pick up a Body Glove 7mm ful suitfor less then $200 and it works just fine.

A couple more points,
  • if your "completely addicted" don't sell yourself short on diving in the winter, some of the best diving/viz is in the winter/fall in SD.
  • You may have gotten warm on the shores dive because you were working hard or adrenaline was rushing becasue of your new found hobby.
  • As ChrisA pointed out the suit will compress over time/dives and you'll be able to shed a couple pounds of weight.
  • Get a steel tank and shed some weight from your belt/bc
  • When you got warm were you wearing a hood? If so ditch the hood heat will escape fast from your head.
  • Definitely rent a 5mm before buying and try it out

For me 53F is my threshold, if it gets lower than that, I'm cold in a 7mm/hood.

crispix:
Hi,

I'm recently OW certified (and completely addicted -- can't wait to go out again) and am starting to buy my own gear. My first purchase is going to be a wetsuit. I'm going to be diving in San Diego, strictly recreational, and I'll mostly dive in summer and fall when the weather is warmest. (Winter is for trips to Hawaii!)

I was out last week (boat dive to the kelp) using a rental 7mm full suit down to 50ft and water temp in the mid 50's below the thermocline. I was very comfortable, but the extra weights needed for the thick suit were a pain.

Prior to that I was at La Jolla Shores in the same 7mm suit and felt a bit too warm, even at depth.

So I'm thinking maybe a quality 5mm suit is ok for San Diego, more comfortable, and easier on the weights? What do other San Diego divers tend to use? Is it a good idea to layer something thin with a 5mm suit over it? Or am I nuts to go with anything less than 7mm or 7/5?

And what's the best wetsuit material to get? I'll gladly pay a bit more for quality, but don't want to overspend on something I don't really need. Thanks for the help!

Crispix

I have used an Xcel SCS Polar TriDensity for a couple of years now and it has served me well, but I like so many others have gone dry.

If you continue diving as your post has indicated any of the better and thicker 7mm+ wet suits should be fine. The Xcel and a few others have the hood built in to the suit, this really cuts down on the amount of water migrating through the suit. This feature combined with a good snug fit will keep you warmer. If you ever want to dive year round you will probably be happier in a dry suit.

For Hawaii I use a hoodless 5mm wet suit and am fine, thinner and I would be unhappy, since on multiple dive days leading to a week I need to add a hood for the last day or two.

If you do get a good wet suit for SoCal don't cheap out on the gloves and booties. The first dive I did in my then new Xcel, when I got to the surface and my buddy asked about the suit, my only comment was that I needed better gloves and booties.

best of luck,

Mark Vlahos

As mentioned before I would not write off diving in the winter. If you are truly addicted you won't make the "Long SI's" between Hawaii trips.

With that said I started diving here in a 2 piece aquaflite 7mm. I was always nice and warm even in the coldest of the season. The "cold" part was the surface intervals and they can be nice or brutal here in SoCal depending on mother natures attitude. So for repetative dives I found a 7mm was what I used and decided as my minimum.

Fast forward to today and find me diving dry I am warmer in and OUT of the water... The best thing to do is try all of the suits out.. Rent a 5mm and make 2-3 dives. Then do a 7mm and maybe even try dry. Try a 5mm with a hooded vest 5/3, but I think you will still find it chilly. If you are like most the divers in the area I think you will find a good 7mm to be the best choice for San Diego if you aren't going to dive dry.

crispix:
Thanks for the tips. Sounds like I would indeed be nuts to go with anything less than 7mm.

I dove our local waters for a long time in a 2-piece 7mm... however our temperature has been 38-42F over the last couple months. This run of VERY cold water made me decide to go dry. It's supposed to be the best diving in the winter, but not if you're too freezing cold to dive. Otherwise I really like the wetsuit. Especially for a newbie, it is CHEAP compared to a drysuit, and definitely worth diving for a while until you're sure you'll stick to the sport.

Perhaps rent wetsuits and drysuits a couple times to see which you like better. I like the feel of the wetsuit, but for me, the consistently cold water (41-42F) made me realize I wasn't enjoying it. When the water is warmer though, I definitely prefer diving wet. With temperatures in the 50s, I don't think you'll be too cold to enjoy diving wet.

Find out what is best for you.

- ChillyWaters

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom