best strobe for newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CLA

Reaction score
Hi!

I have an Oly5060 and PT-020 housing and would like to buy a strobe. I'm looking for something small, user-friendly, sturdy, and compatible with other cameras or housings that I may upgrade to in the future. What strobe would be best and what features are important?

I have absolutely no experience w/ strobes but am considering the either the InonD2000 or IkeDS50 simply because of their size and popularity. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.:D

What's your long term plan? While camera changes rapidly, strobe can last for years so I would get a strobe that will be good enough to meet my current and possibly future need as well. My Ikelite DS125 strobe survives my camera upgrade 4 times so far.
If you plan to stick with PnS and especially if you are interested mainly macro and fish portrait then either of your choice should be fine. If you want to have TTL eventually then Ikelite might be a better choice since you can get Ikelite housing that will support TTL with Ikelite strobe. If you plan to upgrade eventually to dSLR or if you are interested mainly in wide angle then I think both D2000 and DS50 are a bit underpowered. Inon does not have anything quite as powerful as its now discontinued 220Z yet. Ikelite DS125 would be very a good option. If it is a bit out of your budget, Ikelite should be releasing DS80 in the next couple of months so that would be a good alternative. Personally I am waiting for a DS200 :)
Sea and Sea is going to release a new YS120 or something similar that also looks interesting but I am not a big fan of the YS90 mainly because of the slow recycle time (not a big deal with PnS especially if you shoot in RAW mode but if you ever upgrade to something that can write faster, waiting for strobe to recycle is a pain).

Just how much is a DS125?

pennypue:
Just how much is a DS125?

Depending on the package that you want, starting at around $700 all the way to around $1000.

ssra30:
Depending on the package that you want, starting at around $700 all the way to around $1000.

What accounts for the $300 variance? Pieces, parts?

I'd be looking to put one on an Ikelite housing for a 5050.
What do I need?

pennypue:
What accounts for the $300 variance? Pieces, parts?

I'd be looking to put one on an Ikelite housing for a 5050.
What do I need?

The basic system is $700, the deluxe package ($1000) basically comes with better arm, smart charger etc. You can see the info here: http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/ss_dig125.html

If you are using it with Ikelite C5050, I definitely would go with sync cord rather than using optical sensor.

Thanks for your suggestions, ssra30.

I'd love to have a powerful strobe but I can't afford the DS125 yet. Would it be practical to get a small strobe for now and just add another one later on if I feel the need for more light? Or is one powerful strobe much easier to handle than 2 small ones? Re TTL- the new Inon strobe features STTL (auto). Do you think this will produce the same results as TTL?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom