Best signaling devices from the searcher’s point of view - update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends on how cold the water is and how quick hypothermia sets in. In tropical 27°C waters or warmer, you can have an agonizing demise if not rescued, over two to three days more so due to dehydration.

Yep, I prefer to underestimate my survivability than overestimate. I read about Jorge Ivan Morales & Hernan Dario Rodriguez found alive after floating 50 hours in such tropical warmer water of Pacific Ocean near Malpelo, Colombia, 4 diveres went missing - Malpelo, Colombia but I don’t think I’m now in such a good physical shape as they were then.

Survival guidelines suggest that one can survive (on land) for 3 days without water and 3 weeks without food. Since I dive warm water in a wetsuit, I’d look to get past the 48 hour mark.

I’ve dived remote places such a Banda Neira and Madang. In such places, I’d probably want one of my electronic beacons to keep functioning well into the second day at least. I’d probably activate MRG and let it transmit until the battery runs dry. For the PLB, I’d probably try and conserve the battery. I’d probably activate it intermittently, two hours on and two hours off.

Survival guidelines suggest that one can survive (on land) for 3 days without water and 3 weeks without food. Since I dive warm water in a wetsuit, I’d look to get past the 48 hour mark.

I’ve dived remote places such a Banda Neira and Madang. In such places, I’d probably want one of my electronic beacons to keep functioning well into the second day at least. I’d probably activate MRG and let it transmit until the battery runs dry. For the PLB, I’d probably try and conserve the battery. I’d probably activate it intermittently, two hours on and two hours off.

You got me thinking along on the same line now. I think I'll carry 2 spare CR123 Lithium batteries for the MRG & small screw driver to replace the batteries. They are small enough to put them in my waterproof pouch. :)

Forget spare batteries for the MRG. You won’t survive past the 24 hr mark.

:D

Still good to carry them, just in case the ones in MRG are bad and I got enough room in my 100’ rated waterproof Kona pouch. See the 2 blue CR123 & yellow handle screwdriver.

FC228C36-577F-4577-831B-15B937B52FBC.jpeg

Unfortunately, a 6-sec wave (in open water) is about 184 ft crest-to-crest, so 92 feet crest to trough. That is a LONG way for divers to be separated. And that is the horizontal separation. The length of a line connecting the crest and the trough would be considerably longer.

Thanks for that info. Can I check that you haven’t doubled it by accident? I’m just going off this wiki link Wind wave - Wikipedia and the table:

504E52CF-B08E-437D-82A6-5A35F1AB7309.png

Assuming I’m reading it correctly.
Thanks.

Thanks for that info. Can I check that you haven’t doubled it by accident? I’m just going off this wiki link Wind wave - Wikipedia and the table:

View attachment 451229

Assuming I’m reading it correctly.
Thanks.

I think he’s referring to from the minimum to the maximum (crest-to-crest?), which means 2x wave height.

My bad. You are right. It shows how much I know about Morse Code. It should be SOS not OSO :D
Best I can tell, what you wrote was NSN (dah-dit,dit-dit-dit,dah-dit)
I think he’s referring to from the minimum to the maximum (crest-to-crest?), which means 2x wave height.
No, he isn't.
I have not mentioned wave height, only wavelength. And I mentioned it for a single, 6 second wave.
Jay's fully-developed sea is a full spectrum wave field, with all wave periods (wavelengths) combined. The averages given are across the entire spectrum of waves that comprise the fully-developed sea. Those numbers are good, but are not easily comparable to the ones I gave for a single 6-second component of the field. We are both right, but talking about different things.

Reactions: Jay
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom