Best signaling devices from the searcher’s point of view - update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Best I can tell, what you wrote was NSN (dah-dit,dit-dit-dit,dah-dit)...

My mind asked my finger to tap 3 dashes, 3 dots, 3 dashes, but that’s still wrong anyway. So, whatever you say, as long as you know what I meant, it’s all good. I got your attention at least :D

Has anyone considered or does anyone carry a dye like this one.
Divesoft Fluorescein Marker Dye

Looks like you’d be easier to see from the air with a big dye slick nearby.

Reactions: Dan

I suggested this too. The OP said his pockets were already full.

Seems like a small investment considering how small you are in the big ocean!

Last edited:

I read some where about the dye will be diffuse & fade away about 30 minutes. That’s kind of short live of signaling device don’t you think?

I read some where about the dye will be diffuse & fade away about 30 minutes. That’s kind of short live of signaling device don’t you think?
I don’t know how long lived it is. Hopefully someone who knows will chime in.

Even with an SMB, you are still a tiny dot to search aircraft. I would wait to deploy until I see or hear the aircraft. Not sure it would be useful for a boat searching.

Notes are embedded in Red above. Some of the things are obvious, but need to be said.
Missing but also valuable are light/smoke flares and colored dye.
Mk8 distress signaling flare - Day / Night

You got me to reconsider both of signal devices. So I read the product descriptions in more detail and asked the sellers whether the devices are safe / allowed for air transportation & for diving.

As far as MK8 flare, although it’s waterproof to 100 feet, the seller doesn’t recommend me to carry it in BCD pocket as is. I may be able to store it in a waterproof canister, which can be a bit bulky. Furthermore, according to FAA regulation, flares and other similar flammable/explosive products are forbidden in carry-on and checked baggage, Pack Safe – Signal flares and road flares Unless I go to my diving destination by ground transportation or by boat, flare will be out of my safety kit.

As far as the Divesoft Fluorecein Marker Dye, after seeing the video, the compact size, the spec (especially the sealed waterproof plastic tube depth rated to 100m) & the low cost ($14.50), it is no brainer to have it. I decided to get one and see if I can sneak it into my BCD pocket. Thanks @tursiops & @BertStevens for bringing it to my attention twice :D

Last edited:
I just hope you never need it!

Last edited:
Is the dye bio degradable? Dye is only for air rescue. You could get a radar reflecting SMB instead if you want more visibility. Good for air and sea. Check out DAN and Custom Divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom