Best Shore dives for a beginner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My favrite shore dive spots have been Villablacca, and diving from Club Cozumel Caribe. They have a undrwater sculpture park at CCC. Also great snorkeling. But I have learned CCC has turned into Condo-Apartments. So I dont know if you still can shore dive there.

bosshogg357:
Where are the best shore dives in Cozumel and what dive shop do I use, etc.? I really appreciate any information you have. I am a beginner diver and so is my girlfriend. We don't know much about Cozumel, so all information is great information. Thanks!

Two best shore dives ......VillaBlanca(PAPA HOGS/DP/Pelagic) and El CID(La Ceiba)

A REALLY COOL shore drift dive is from Ca Ceiba to VillaBlanca.

Both these spots are nice at night as well.

Ron

Ron Brandt:
A REALLY COOL shore drift dive is from La Ceiba to VillaBlanca.

Have you done that one out on the wall?

Ron Brandt:
Yep...Thats why I mention it from time to time.

I did forget,though,that the origional post was for a beginner shore dive......not a 60 minute wall dive from "hotel to hotel".

Ron

Right. I didn't do that dive this last visit, but when we have, we used the buoy that marked where the cable for the lighthouse crossed the wall edge as a marker to head into the Caletita, but that buoy is gone now. Seems it was taken out by boats one too many times and they finally said fuggitt.

ggunn:
Right. I didn't do that dive this last visit, but when we have, we used the buoy that marked where the cable for the lighthouse crossed the wall edge as a marker to head into the Caletita, but that buoy is gone now. Seems it was taken out by boats one too many times and they finally said fuggitt.

So whether you get in at El Cid La Cieba (quite south of Villablanca) or at Villablanca, how do you know when to get out, (come up) at Caribe Blu? Is it just better doing the Villablanca/Caribe Blu trip and skip getting in at La Cieba. Assuming the current is going north and that the backs of the hotels don't usually tell you which they are, do you just have to be familiar with them and the area to know when to come into shore or do you pop your heads up every 5 or 10 minutes when doing this drift shore dive. I'm tired of just hanging out at the La Cieba's airplane for an hour. I'd like to try the drift up to Caribe Blu, but not sure about the timing and the exit, and the best entry for that matter.

Any ideas,
Thanks,
Matt

Ok....here is a trick. Check out the "VillaBaanca" site first and rent your Tanks and weights from one of the 3 dive opps there.

You will notice a marked off area used for snorkeling and shore dives....this will be your exit. The markers are ancored down at 25 feet...just north will be two piers.Remember this.

Take a cab or your rental car with a non diver and your gear down to La Ceiba. Gear up in the parking lot and walk through the lobby. Make your entry from the pier.Head straight out and slightly to the north...past the plane. It's about a 15 minute swim at approx 35 feet to the wall. Once you are at the wall you will know it. The current will push you down(60-90 feet) and take you north.

If you just go with the drift it will take about 35-40 minutes to get you near the exit point. At this time head up to 25 feet and watch for the marker bouys or the two piers. Exit and drop your gear off. You should expect an average run time of about 60 minutes.Don't get too freaked out by the boat trafic.

Have a nice dive!

Ron

divematt:
So whether you get in at El Cid La Cieba (quite south of Villablanca) or at Villablanca, how do you know when to get out, (come up) at Caribe Blu? Is it just better doing the Villablanca/Caribe Blu trip and skip getting in at La Cieba. Assuming the current is going north and that the backs of the hotels don't usually tell you which they are, do you just have to be familiar with them and the area to know when to come into shore or do you pop your heads up every 5 or 10 minutes when doing this drift shore dive. I'm tired of just hanging out at the La Cieba's airplane for an hour. I'd like to try the drift up to Caribe Blu, but not sure about the timing and the exit, and the best entry for that matter.

Any ideas,
Thanks,
Matt

The current is the thing, and how far you get is dependent upon it. When I do the wall from La Ceiba, I do a surface swim out through the sailboat mooring area, drop down to the bottom, and head west until I get to the wall, which is a pretty sharp change but not very steep there. I then drift along the dropoff (which becomes more of a wall the farther you go) northwestward until my air gets down to 1000 psi, whereupon I head east until I am in about 10 feet of water or less. Then (after a careful check for boats, of course) I stick my head up and see where I am. The farthest I have gotten was a bit past Caribe Blu, and I took out at the Caletita (by the lighthouse). The time the current was slowest, I didn't get quite to Villablanca, and that's where I got out.

There are plenty of places to take out along there, so no matter how far you get there will be a takeout point not too far downcurrent.

DO NOT surface out at the wall unless you absolutely must, and then be sure to let a float up first. It's the boating equivalent of an interstate highway out there.

I kinda like Dzul Ha. You can rent the equipment at the beach. What's nice about it is that once finished with the dive, you are at a nice little beach bar that has lot's of cerveas, chip/guac and other fun stuff. What could be better?

Back
Top Bottom