Question Best setup for filling at home

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronk_1976

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello guys

This is my first post on this forum, although I already searched and browsed around a lot, finding a wealth of useful info. Just not the answer to my exact question.

I'm looking for a very compact filling system which doesn't make too much noise. Budget 4 to 5k euro. Preferrably 230V, I guess I can't go above 100l/min with this budget. Mobile is a pre but not a need. Before you think: oh no, there we go again.... Please give me a chance to explain my situation. (I've seen many threads about Coltri, Bauer and L&W here, but still have some open questions.)

I'm facing the fact that I have to fill 6 to 8 tanks of 12L, 2 to 3 times per week. Somehow I have the feeling that this asks for bigger compressors (220l/min or more) or a buffer system. But I don't have the space nor the budget... I do have time to wait though.

Obviously I've been looking at Coltri Mini Silent, but I read too many negative reviews on the MCH-6. Furthermore the small Bauers made it to the short list. However none of them are recommended to fill more than 2 or 3 tanks at a stretch.

I am trying to avoid any used bigger compressors without a clear service history. They generally have a large footprint, require 400V, and filter housings are out of certification. Also... It simply needs to work, with the standard periodic maintenance, not praying and hoping for a 30 year old compressor to not collapse.

Topic 1: Are there in the mentioned price range any compressors, with comparable quality as the Bauer, but with 100% constant duty cycle? I've seen an Aerotec, oil-less, but can't find any reviews. Any other (new) options? Ideally it fits on a floor space of 68cm by 59cm, between 2 walls (there is plenty ventilation though)

Topic 2: If I would be considering a small 100l/min system, would it make sense to work with a buffer system in my case? If so, I assume it would need to be 330 bars to make sense. But does that imply that only the 3rd / 4th stage of the compressor is loaded and will wear out early, when only cycling between 225 and 330 bar? Does topping off the buffer (e.g. 80L 300 bar) at these pressures take longer than topping off the bottles separately?

Topic 3: how do you actually create a buffer system. What connectors from compressor to buffer are needed, and from buffer to tank? I see those inox metal pipes at the local dive shop, but can't find where to buy these to make a custom system.

Topic 4: Do you have any guidance in silencing the compressor, without making it to overheat? Somebody created a custom water cooling? Or additional fans in a sound deadened box?

Thanks for your help! Please consider I'm a rooky in the field of breathing air compressors and buffers

A buddy of mine uses the MCH-6 for several HP cylinders per week. Advantages of portability, cost and it can run on typical 120V circuits. Reportedly self-serviceable (new valves etc as needed)

3-stage Smart (used to be MCH-11?) on a single-phase 240V 50amp circuit rates for continuous duty. Probably better for general use and perhaps the rate of fills you describe.

Seems not easy to run a good fill station on the cheap, unless you can obtain a good older continuous duty compressor for less money, several HP bank cylinders, a good deal on a production-sized filter stack, and run all the various HP lines and valves in a way that reduces the risk of a blown hose or whip maiming

And that's how we get dive shops, cert cards, visuals and hydros, insurance and liabilities etc. Unlike many other adventure sports where you just buy some basic gear and go

People buy recreational motorcycles that cost way more than a good compressor

you need to
A) spend way more money on a larger system
B) break up your filling to max 2 tanks a night
C) or fill fewer tanks

Anything capable of filling a bank system will be continuous duty and neither cheap nor 100L/min. I would never recommend an MH6 at home. It's "ok" for remote travel but the heat and filtration limitations are still terrible.

You got some valid points there, thank you very much guys.

It seems though as if the Coltri Mini Silent has a 790m3 cooling fan, and the maxifilter. So that should actually be a huge step upward from the icon MCH-6, both from noise (66dB lwA), cooling as well as filtration quality.

I need to reevaluate the options I guess
Thanks!

you need to also look at the total running costs over time, coltri generally requires more maintenance and runs through the consumables faster

being patient and waiting for a good used bauer unit or a rix sa6 is likely to work out better long term

I have a coltri mch6 for the last 3 years. I have a twinset, 2 12's and a 10l and have never had a problem with it. It fills at the same rate (fairly slow:rolleyes:) since I got it and never any issues with the air. Easy to maintain and get spare parts for. Admittedly, I live out the country in Ireland so the air is clean and it's never that hot, but I don't get all the negativity around the mch6.

''I'm facing the fact that I have to fill 6 to 8 tanks of 12L, 2 to 3 times per week. Somehow I have the feeling that this asks for bigger compressors (220l/min or more) or a buffer system. But I don't have the space nor the budget... I do have time to wait though''

However, back to this. You need to get the budget and the space or else you need to reconsider. Buy more cylinders, and get them filled at a proper fill station. There's no way you'll be able to run like this for long with anything less then a proper commercial compressor.

I think... the MCH6 in it's change ot the Icon has gone through quite an evolution with material improvements and a bigger oil sump which should help.

More expensive, but there is also the MCH8, which I think is a shrunk MCH 11, so should be good for continuous use, and comes in around £5 uk. Coltri was talking about a new 140l/min block,but haven't seen any details of that

I have been told that the LW100 is rate for continuous use, but not 100% sure. decent quality and a bit cheaper than the Bauer.

I once spoke to an L&W employee on the phone and he also said that the LW100 can run through.
The only important thing is sufficient cooling and always enough oil

I am biased to the Rix SA-6. If you can find a used one in good condition that would pretty much fit the bill in your budget. Rated to 250 bar continuous duty. About the easiest thing there is to work on. I love mine.

I am not well versed in Bauer, but they get a lot of praise.

Alkin I'm even less knowledgeable about, but they seem fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom