Best Scuba operators in Aruba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
going to Aruba for the first time in January. Any information would be appreciated

Thanks

I haven't been to Aruba in about a dozen years, but I understand that the operator I used then is still in operation--Clive Paula. If I were to go there now, he would be my choice. That recommendation comes with a caveat, though--you should be a strong and self-reliant diver.

You should notice that I used the word "he" in describing his operation, not "they." It is a one man show. He picks you up at your hotel. He handles all the paperwork and all the gear rental (if needed). He handles the boat. He leads the dives. (That includes drift dives--he leads for half the dive, sims back to the boat against the current, and then picks you up at the end.) He brings you back to the hotel.

Why use him? You will be more independent on your dives, and you can use all your gas. Most of the other operators will lead you in tight groups for very specific amounts of time, surfacing at the end of that time regardless of the remaining gas in your tank.

Completely agree with boulderjohn. I am not a fan of handheld diving that you find at most resorts. Clive will give you a very good briefing, and allows you to dive as you see fit.

A third vote for Clive (dive aruba). I generally dive with him every late October. I have ones planned next week. I only dove with one other operator on the island, Native Divers, Romeo Croes. Romeo dives for 40 minutes regardless of the remaining air.

Clive sets his dives based on the maximum time and generally his clientele are experienced divers. Some of his drift dives will start out deep and end up in 20 ft of water where he picks you up. If you listen to his briefings, he will detail a dive that allows maximum bottom time while respecting safety (He may give multiple briefings depending on whether the divers speak English, Spanish, or Dutch).

He can be a bit brusque sometimes, especially if you don't listen or pay attention during his initial boat briefing or ignore his directions. Nevertheless, I found him to be a great operator and I always dive with him. On the first day, he will pick you up and take you back to his garage shop where you check in and obtain any rental gear and they head to the dock which is docked at the Renaissance Marina. After diving, he will take you back your hotel. Since I am at the Marriott Ocean Club, I am the first to be picked up (around 8:00 am) and the last to be dropped out (around 2:00 pm).

A third vote for Clive (dive aruba).
He can be a bit brusque sometimes, especially if you don't listen or pay attention during his initial boat briefing or ignore his directions. Nevertheless, I found him to be a great operator and I always dive with him. .

Agreed. I really enjoyed diving with him, as I also like a little freedom to dive my dive. On the other hand my brother-in-law dive buddy got yelled at a few times (he is hard of hearing and had to take out his hearing aid to dive, so wasn't always quite with Clive's program) and hated it. To each his own.

Some folks are wary about having just one person on the boat (and no one on the boat if/while he dives with you).

We dove with Clive a few years ago. He leads the first half, with the boat drifting along unmanned, and goes up. This would be illegal In many locations, but certainly cuts overhead. Bring your SMB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom