Best SCUBA Gear - Price not a Factor!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suppose it would depend upon the level of experience of the buyer. As you have over 5,000 dives I'd say an eCCR (if you don't have one already). As to make, I like the Hammerhead Extreme, but like any piece of diving equipment, it comes down to personal preference.

As for SCUBA, I don't like Scubapro (they've never convinced me to drink the Koolaid). :) My preferences include:

Rolex Deep Sea Watch;
Apeks or Poseidon Regs;
Viking suits (I put DUI in the same category as Scubapro);
Fourth Element thermals Xerotherm (base layer), Halo 3D main;
Shearwater or Liquivision electronics; and
an OMS or Dive Rite dual bladder wing (when diving doubles wet).

BUT if price really isn't an obstacle, then I'd recommend a Newt Suit:

newt.jpgor a Perry Submersible

Perryonhook.jpg

Last edited:
My core gear would stay the same:

* Apeks Tek3 / XTX50
* DIR Zone BP/W
* Atomic Frameless Mask
* Scubapro Jet fins
* Subapro Digital 330m
* Suuntu SK7

my next acquisitions would also stay the same:

* Santi E.Lite
* Nice main light (still undecided which one)

If price is not a factor I would:

* Dive a lot more and in better locations
* Do all the GUE training available
* Buy scooter and rebreather

The "best" doesn't always equate to "most expensive"

For regulators IMO you'd find it hard to beat any Apeks but, frankly, the DS4/ATX40 will do any OC dive and perform well in excess of EN250 or EN250a.

Computers - no doubt someone will pop up to say "you don't need one" but, if you do then something with a known algorithm, an oLED display and the ability to switch nitrox/trimix gasses is what you actually need rather than wireless AI or heart-rate monitoring. Shearwater Petrel or HW OSTC2n are far superior to yet another re-housing of Uwatec technology from twenty years ago.

Fins - Scubapro Jets or XS Turtles or Hollis F1 or any generic rubber jet fin. If you need lighter then whatever Mares Power Plana Avanti is currently being sold. Any of these will perform better and give you more finning options than any seawing, split or clown-shoe at any price.

BCD - just get a BP/W and be done with it. Although they're now often more expensive than BC, especially if bought as a package, you can still save money and get a far superior device, customised to you, if you mix and match.

Suits - wetsuits or skins are pretty much interchangeable/disposable. If you were talking drysuits then Santi - no question.

Mask - Oceanic Shadow - they just work. Of course anything that leaks is useless regardless of price.

Snorkel - if you really must then either a generic, valveless, rule-of-thumb, model that you won't worry about losing or won't care if it lies in the bottom of your bag forever. Paying a lot of money for a snorkel when you're going scuba diving is like buying a really expensive roof box for your Ferrari.

Money no option.....

I like my Aqualung Titan LX regulator so probable upgrade to a Legend
Wetsuit. I've a Bare (3mm) and a Pinnacle (5mm) at the moment. I'd probaly by one of them again - they both have the size range that fit and that is important more than price.
Dive computer. Aeris T3 at the moment. Probably something with a color screen. It will depend on where my diving journey takes me.
Just bought a low end drysuit. Money no option, probably a neoprene front entry suit.
Fins. Happy with what I've got Mares Pwer Plana and Mares Avanti X3. However. Any future fins will have spring clips
BC. Probably would buy a Dive Rite Transpac or if I progressed into sidemount a Hollis SMS 100. Saying that I would look at modifying the Transpac into a Nomad.....
Not bought any tanks yet so probably HP120s

I almost get the impression that you [-]like[/-] sell ScubaPro...:D

Fixed it for you.

---------- Post added February 23rd, 2014 at 09:23 AM ----------

Can you say rebreather?

If ScubaPro made one, you can bet he would have listed it.

It would be funny, if it weren't for the fact that he has created a thread that is essentially a "Buy ScubaPro Gear From Me" ad. It's tiresome when a vendor blows their horn over, and over, and over again. Even going to the trouble of not just listing the ScubaPro gear he wants to tout... but actually embedding links to each piece?

I also wonder if doesn't occur to the OP that it even looks a bit silly? I don't dispute that SP makes great gear. But is there really not one piece of gear out there that is better than something ScubaPro makes? Nothing great out there that is in an area that SP doesn't even play? Really? I think it defies credulity to believe so. Would be like if someone asked a Ford dealer to list the best vehicles in the world "money no object" and they only listed Fords. That would indicate to me that they either...

• lack the ability to critically evaluate their own products against competitors
  • blindly reject the very notion that there might actually be some better vehicles available
  • think that readers are dumb enough to not realize that there are some better vehicles available, or
  • lack the imagination to consider that "vehicles" includes things beyond cars and fail to throw in a BMW motorcycle, a Viking yacht, and a Gulfstream G6
Such a Ford dealer would clearly be either terribly myopic, terribly naive, or simply terribly commercially self-centered.

Last edited:
I would first ask what you are expecting to get out of diving and what type of diving you are doing now and wish to do in the future.

- For computer I would recommend the Shearwater Petrel. It is the most versatile computer I have used and will keep up with your needs as you grow with your diving. Read the manual would be my first piece of advice.
- Full foot fins with a spring strap . I am enjoying my Hollis F1s.
- For regulators I would want to know how far you are from a reputable service center for that brand.
- Out of the wetsuits, hoods, boot that I have tried BARE in my experience is the most durable.

and if you have all the money in the world and want someone to try a rebreather for you. I would be happy to be sponsored to try a few, qualify on the units and provide detailed reports on my findings :)

I've got a scubapro reel ! but that was only because I popped into a new LDS and the assistant was cute :rofl3:

I'm happy with my Legend LUX regs, Apex wtx 3 wing - not sure about my slingshot fins - they work but I'd rather have some in white (for underwater white balance) My lava core undersuit is brilliant - my 3 wetsuits work I'm ordering a Lynx computer to replace my Leonardo..

My next purchase is to replace my Merc S class with a F150 raptor which is more dive practical.. If money were more available then I'd buy a 32' boat with 2 x 300hp outboards or perhaps rent a private jet to get me to more far flung dive destinations

No Doubt BeaverDivers will post a link to the new Scubapro Business jet!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom