Best Scuba Company for Blue Hole Diving - Staying @ X'tan Ha Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I've scheduled a trip to Belize in mid-March and it will be my first time there. Planning to stay at X'tan Ha Resort in San Pedro, and hoping to dive the Blue Hole. I'm a beginner diver (previous dives in Cozumel and Cancun) and looking for a great company to use for this scuba trip. Appreciate any suggestions!

To help guide the inevitable posts, why do you feel drawn to dive the Blue Hole?

Last edited:
Why can't we just accept that she wants to dive the Blue Hole and help her with her question if we have an opinion as to the SP dive ops (I got nuthin)?

dallasnicole,

I have been there.

As a diver with your experience, are you ready for a dive to greater than 130 feet to see a "cavern"?

There are lots of threads on SB on the Blue Hole. This one is interesting and you might find the answers to your question as well as some other very useful information.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/belize/426792-serious-concerns-belize.html

Here is another interesting link regarding PADI's cautions to operator's taking folks to the Blue Hole.

PADI cautions dive guides and tour operators: Belize needs dive and scuba safety policy - The San Pedro Sun News

Be prepared and educate yourself before you go. Dive safe.

Bill

Last edited:
if ever the "popcorn emoticon" is missed, here is where it applies....

Thanks for taking the time to post such a helpful comment! Much appreciated :)

---------- Post added January 31st, 2014 at 10:39 AM ----------

dallasnicole,

I have been there.

As a diver with your experience, are you ready for a dive to greater than 130 feet to see a "cavern"?

There are lots of threads on SB on the Blue Hole. This one is interesting and you might find the answers to your question as well as some other very useful information.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/belize/426792-serious-concerns-belize.html

Here is another interesting link regarding PADI's cautions to operator's taking folks to the Blue Hole.

PADI cautions dive guides and tour operators: Belize needs dive and scuba safety policy - The San Pedro Sun News

Be prepared and educate yourself before you go. Dive safe.

Bill

Thanks for the info, Bill! My travel companion is the one who's really wanting to dive the Blue Hole. I'll forward this information to him as well.

-Nicole

Thanks for the info, Bill! My travel companion is the one who's really wanting to dive the Blue Hole. I'll forward this information to him as well.

-Nicole

Be easy on rhwestfall, the Blue Hole will elicit lots of heated discussion, particularly when a "beginner" diver mentions they want to do it.

Remember, never do a dive you do not want to do (regardless of your reason). Peer pressure is not a good thing to succumb to in this activity.

Snorkelling around the Blue Hole is spectacular. The second dive that is done after the Blue Hole is also one of the prettiest dives you can do. So, if your companion is set on doing the dive, by all means tag along and snorkel the Blue Hole and dive the next dive site. You won't be disappointed.

Last edited:
As above- I would pick the one with the biggest, fastest boats. I assume they all have Oxygen and communications gear.

Now, some popcorn... (bring back :popcorn: !)

To help guide the inevitable posts, why do you feel drawn to to dive the Blue Hole?

I think most people are drawn to it simply because they are aware of it through the Belize Tourism Board and brilliant marketing. Sell the sizzle, throw in some steak.

Miss-Belize-International-Cultural-Costume.jpg

It is spectacular... from the air at 5,000 feet. Once you've done it, many experienced divers relegate it to a "logbook dive" or "ticket punch" experience.

It's a long way away from everything, which means not only a long boat ride, but if one does need medical assistance, it's an even longer distance (usually) to that kind of recompression service.

Roatan's version is Mary's Place (70-90fsw). It is the one dive with dramatic architecture that is easily accessible by the bulk of divers who show up- West Enders and Cruise shippers. There are much more exciting dives on Roatan, but near-proximity and the fact that it was "off limits" for preservation causes the insatiable desire.

The dive magazines call these "must do" dives. Maybe ask them?

I've scheduled a trip to Belize in mid-March and it will be my first time there. Planning to stay at X'tan Ha Resort in San Pedro, and hoping to dive the Blue Hole. I'm a beginner diver (previous dives in Cozumel and Cancun) and looking for a great company to use for this scuba trip. Appreciate any suggestions!
Stay at the resort? Bring yur own high speed helicopter?? DON'T DO IT!

Please recognize that this is a "destination" dive promoted by the marketing peeps, not by divers.

That said, I would pick the fastest boat available. You will spend most of your day bouncing around the Caribbean getting there. It is a very long way to go for a 25 minute dive. I have heard about 2 hour travel times. Each way.

I have "been" to the blue hole 5 times (on liveaboards) I dove it once. Just the first time. Bin there done that, not getting fooled again.

Back
Top Bottom