Best scuba advice you’ve received

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tradition at this point. Found an unopened bottle of tequila on a local wreck (Yukon) on a pre-trip checkout dive a while ago. Made margaritas from it, now just do it before any trip (original tequila is gone but keep buying the same brand and refilling the bottle I found).
Margaritas are too sweet and sour, they make me sick. Guess I'm missing out on that fun.

Margaritas are too sweet and sour, they make me sick. Guess I'm missing out on that fun.
All depends on the mix. Found a local small batch one that uses agave as the sweetener. Can’t stand the commercial stuff with sugar.

All depends on the mix. Found a local small batch one that uses agave as the sweetener. Can’t stand the commercial stuff with sugar.
That's fair. I had one mixed at a bar and it was wayyyy too strong.

Learn to service my own regulators. This has saved me thousands of dollars over the years and put me much more in control of situations that inevitably come up on dive trips. Plus, it's fun.
Good one. Sort of parallel to my “aha” process as a new musician some years back:

“Learn to set up your own basses. This has saved me hundreds (thousands?) of dollars over the years and put me much more in control of situations that inevitably come up on gigs. Plus, it’s fun.”

Except that a bass guitar is not life support equipment. I will read the manual very, very carefully. :wink:

Jammers not board shorts when wetsuiting. :wink:
Under Armor is worth the price when you have to change in a parking lot and drive home with it wet. It's not fun, but it's tolerable,and that is worth $25 a pair

Except that a bass guitar is not life support equipment.:wink:

It is if you make your living playing bass. hehe

Actually, regulators are not life support either, this is a lie propagated by the dive gear industry to sell more expensive regulators and restrict service materials. If your life really did depend on your regulator working, there would be many, many more dead divers and probably very, very few people would choose to dive. I certainly wouldn't. This is why things like air sharing, alternate air sources, even CESA are taught. Air is life support underwater, not your regulator. Any decent diver knows to always dive in such a way as to have access to air from at least two sources, the second source typically being a buddy or the surface in recreational diving. Regulators are pretty reliable, but they do fail from time to time.

But even if it were true that regulator failure meant death, I would work on my own. These are pretty simple devices and what constitutes good service is mostly being careful and methodical, with a good understanding of how regulators work. Unfortunately you can't teach someone that stuff in a one day seminar that nobody ever fails, which the qualification for becoming a certified regulator tech at a dive shop. Some of these techs are excellent, some are not. How do you know who to trust? Since your life depends on it, I mean. Come on, if servicing these things really truly had life and death consequences, don't you think the training would be just a tiny bit more rigorous?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom