Best (Safest) Dive Ops from Ambergris Caye

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@ downing. Yes, as I recall there were two on a separate line hanging next to the anchor/mooring reference line.

Sounds like a trust me dive.

Belated trip report: We went to Belize in February and a fabulous time was had by all--divers and non-divers alike. Stayed in the Phoenix, as we have before, and it was as beautiful as the last time. We enjoyed great meals at Lick's, Elvi's, and poolside at the Phoenix. I was lucky enough to have the good sense to order a lobster by the pool the first day, as I found out the following day it was the last day of lobster season. Our non-diving day we took the boat-based trip over to the cave tubing through Amigos. We had a great time, and our guides were fantastic.

Now for the diving. We did dive the blue hole and went with Amigos Del Mar. We had booked with another op (I don't remember which one), but Amigos was the only boat going that day, so they put us with them. This didn't surprise me at all based on what I've reviewed here. I really enjoyed the blue hole a lot. I like eerie dives (one of the reasons I like diving in lake Michigan) and it was pretty cool. It's not for everyone, but I knew not to expect bright colors or pretty fish, so I really enjoyed it. My max depth was 135' and I watched my computer very closely to make sure I wasn't close to deco. I felt very comfotable with the dive guides and they were closely watching out for all of the divers. They got a little lower than me at some points, so I can see the basis for concerns raised about the "trust me" dives as they could easily go into deco, but my buddy and I dove our profile and watched our computers and were very happy. The subsequent dives (for which we dove nitrox) were also great, and I really enjoyed the picnic on the beach. We laid out on the pier and got some sun after lunch while others treked over to watch the birds.

When we got back, we booked some local dives the next day. Would've like to go to turneffe atoll but sadly no ops were going out that day. We still really enjoyed the local diving. There are a lot of boats at the same sites so it can get a little crowded, but I kind of hung back and did my thing, staying within sight of the DMs but letting others be glued to him like a hawk. It worked out well and was a nice relaxing dive.

Overall, I loved it (although I am spoiled by Fiji and think the diving there was far better) and will go back someday, although I have a lot of other spots to check out as well. Maybe next time I'll check out one of the other cays. :)

I just returned from a 10 day trip to AC. I dove with Ramons Dive Center at Ramons Resort the entire time. Here is what I learned about the Blue Hole trips this time a year. This time of year it is very slow. Actually next month is the slowest time of year for diving on Ambergris Caye. So not all the "Big" boats go to the Blue Hole everyday. Actually and Ramons Divers they start a list of interested divers and run that list until it's full.

I.e when I got to Ramons on Wednesday, I inquired about the Blue Hole trip. They told me they had a boat scheduled on Friday and had 10 divers on the boat so far. It's such a long trip from AC, over 50 miles and 2.5 to 3.0 hrs. they wait until they get a full boat. If they don't have a full boat they will start to call the other dive shops/operators and let them know they have a trip planned, and the other dive ops, including Amigos Del Mar will send customers to Ramons or whoever (it could be the other way around) will be taking a boat out to Lighthouse Atoll.

The blue hole is a great dive. It's a bucket list dive, and you will hear this a lot. The other two dive are worth the time and every penny spent. Lunch was at Half moon Caye... what a awesome place to eat.

One note. If the wind is up, be prepared for a long crossing. Everyone one the boat was beat-up from the large chop, and wet from the spray and water coming over the fly-bridge onto the aft deck. I have been diving for a long time, and have been in heavy seas, but this was somehow different. However, the great diving, made the trip worth it. With that being said, I had the opportunity to dive Turneffe at the elbow the following week and I passed. I didn't want to make the crossing again.

Diving with Ramons at the Blue Hole, all the dive master on the boat were very professional. They explained in detail, what was going to happen on the BH dive, what we would see etc... A very specific dive briefing. They told us what they expected from us as diver, and what we would expect from then as divemasters. The divemasters were very thorough and professional.

At our safty stop they had two bottels at 15 feets with two-three regs set up in-case their were a few air hogs on the dive.
5yrabu5u.jpg
y3a9apad.jpg
eny5edag.jpg

Last edited:
.... Many of the people who go to the bh do not even use computers on this dive

And then strap them back on for subsequent dives.

Makes my brain hurt.

Haven't heard anyone asking if there is an Oxygen set on a specific boat. And maybe a Sat Phone? It's a long hump to any chamber, helicopters are faster if you can call one.

Note as seen in the picture above, Ramon's boat is all open windows, ergo in comes the waves that ocassionally break over the bow. Whereas Amigos two big boats both have windows that close, yet don't leave a person feeling stifled. Lest I get called on this, will say thst if the front windows are opened for even more air circulation and an errant wave toss occurs, people have been known to get wet. :) window gets closed pretty quickly after that!

Note as seen in the picture above, Ramon's boat is all open windows, ergo in comes the waves that ocassionally break over the bow

Actually, that is not correct. The back that you see is open and yes water will spill over from the bow during high seas, but all boats will have that issue. The Ramons boat does have a semi closed area with windows that will open and close port and starboard. They also have a window mid cabin that could be open all the way in calmer seas, due to it being front facing.

Here is a shot of some friends with the port side windows in the background.
ry4uby8y.jpg

I didn't dive with any other dive operations in Ambergris Caye. I have heard nothing but good reports about Amigos del Mar. I am sure that there are other dive operations on AC that a fantastic as well.

I planned on diving with a few dive operators during the 10 days I was in AC. However, after the first two dives I did with Ramons Dive Center, I was comfortable enough to continue to use their services for the remainder of my stay.

I have been a dive professional for 20 of the 22 years I have been diving. My instinct told me that Ramons Village Dive Center was a great dive operation.

Take this for what's worth. If my family asked for a dive op recommendation on AC, I would not hesitate in Recommending Ramon's Village Dive Center.

Thanks Fysheye, my mistake. I took a closer look at the picture to which I'd referred. Now I note that the person I'd thought had their head sticking out the front side window is actually sitting outside the cabin on the gunwhale. My apologies to all.

Back
Top Bottom