Best rEvo sensor configuration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Remove the Fischer cable Predator
Use my Perdix AI in CC mode as a backup computer.
Put Perdix transmitters on the 1st stages, so I can monitor CCR cylinder pressure on my Perdix.
Using a transmitter on a O2 first stage of a rEvo sounds like a BAD idea. One right out of the brain of a non rebreather diver (I was one and went through the same train of thoughts).
First of all, expecting that you will check your secondary to notice that you have a zero or decreasing tank pressure when you have jumped in the water with your O2 tank off is oxymoronic (3 superfluous letters can be removed to your taste). You will not check your secondary, because you are so off the zone that you will probably pass out (and die if you are in the water).
Either prebreath you unit sitting before you jump (you will then pass out on land or deck and will hopefully be revived) or NEVER turn off your tank after your pre-dive checklist.
Of course, DSIX will tell you that's what he does that all the time (he has said it before anyway), but that's one more reason not to do it. He is a daredevil and playing Russian roulette for kicks .
Then, a transmitter is one more BIG failure point to seriously worry about. They crap out every now and then what do you do when it goes blank? Oh, you don't have a SPG to check your pressure anymore? Or you do have one but your 1st stage looks like a spider nest and is an entanglement hazard? What about you lose your balance, tip backward on the bench and crash heavily on it, breaking it off without noticing it before you jump in the water?
Etc., etc., etc.
Of course you should first take a class and listen to your instructor, who SHOULD tell you not to do any modification to your unit until after 50 hrs in the water. You will have an entirely different perpective then (hopefully)!
My 2 cts as a still learning diver after close to 300 hrs on the rEvo....

There are plenty of people that don't run SPG's at all on their rebreather bottles. They check it before the dive and that's it. Some just one just on their dil.

I'm not plussed about someone running transmitters on their rebreather bottles.

@uwxplorer Becky Schott seems to think the transmitters on the onboard bottles is a good idea. She has them on hers and has since she got her Perdix AI shortly after it came out
My opinion is worth exactly the price you paid for it.
Regarding that famous photographer/instructor, she did not install these transmitters before she had accumulated lots of hours on her unit and I'd like to hear her rationale for the added cost and complexity.
And I have read about a lot of people installing some fancy gadget (think BOV on a rEvo) only to later dump them after some practical experience.

SNIP
Either prebreath you unit sitting before you jump (you will then pass out on land or deck and will hopefully be revived) or NEVER turn off your tank after your pre-dive checklist.
Of course, DSIX will tell you that's what he does that all the time (he has said it before anyway), but that's one more reason not to do it. He is a daredevil and playing Russian roulette for kicks .
SNIP

Just to clarify this: If the DSV is in my mouth, the O2 is on.

And I have read about a lot of people installing some fancy gadget (think BOV on a rEvo) only to later dump them after some practical experience.
Just my opinion but comparing a BOV as a fancy gadget is perhaps a wrong comparison. A fancy gadget is a fancy gadget, a BOV can save your life.

Just my opinion but comparing a BOV as a fancy gadget is perhaps a wrong comparison. A fancy gadget is a fancy gadget, a BOV can save your life.
Fair enough. Not needed for all kind of diving is my impression. I was dead certain this would be the first thing I would modify on my unit. I have changed my mind since.

Back
Top Bottom