Best resort for surface dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveRat1

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all- My fiancée and I want to go to the Caribbean / Bahamas area for our honeymoon, but neither of us have done any diving there before. We plan to do entirely shore diving [Don’t ask!], and don't want to deal with a rental car, so we’d like great surface amenities and dive shop facilities on site or in walking distance. We own and will bring all of our own gear, except we want to rent tanks locally (95+ cu. Foot w/ Nitrox fills) and soft weights. Our schedule is: to fly down late Sunday September 9, 2007, dive on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, finally flying home on Saturday (so 6 nights at the resort). We will be flying out from greater Cleveland, OH. (Either CLE or CAK airport), and want to get the most bang for our buck. Anyone have any suggestions? :confused: Thanks in advance!

Bonaire is the shore diving capital of the world. To take the greatest advantage of it, you really need to rent a truck or van. There are many people that are happy diving the same reef over and over, and Bonaire has plenty of house reefs at most of the resorts. The majority of the tanks will be 80 cf AL and Nitrox is readily available. Try Buddy Dive, Divi, Captain Don's, Black Durgeon. I would absolutely rent a truck at least a couple of days.

You can get to Bonaire from Houston (Continental, Fri night, arrive Sat 5:00am), San Juan (American, American Eagle), Curacao/Aruba (puddle jumper).

Good Bonaire advice above.

Although your dates and day schedule could be an issue, consider CoCoView of Roatan, probably the best resort based shore dive in the Caribbean.

That said... No, I gotta ask- Why no boats? Your dive opportunities are limited in the greatest extreme.

If it's seasickness, there are some resorts with great boats, pick a nice weather month and go. CoCoView is flat as a board in July/August. If a liveaboard, look at the Nekton. It barely moves.

If it's a whole boat-is-sinking PTSD thing, well, I guess you're shore diving- take a look at www.shorediving.com

bandit_TX:
Bonaire is the shore diving capital of the world.

ditto

RoatanMan:
Good Bonaire advice above.

ditto ditto

... and if you happen to get an urge to go boat diving, there's plenty of that in Bonaire too

Bonaire is a loooooooooooooooong way away from Cleveland and has its own set of problems, separate from diving (and the island has great diving).

I'd suggest, for a honeymoon, The Bahamas, especially Freeport - they cater to newlyweds. All kinds of dive packages offering different types of diving, hotels only a short walk from dive shops and beach. Examples: UNEXSO http://www.unexso.com/, XANADU http://www.xanadubeachhotel.com/.

Congrats on the nuptials, and safe diving...

daniel f aleman:
Bonaire is a loooooooooooooooong way away from Cleveland and has its own set of problems, separate from diving (and the island has great diving).

I'd suggest, for a honeymoon, The Bahamas

relatively spekaing, if you're flying out of Cleveland, the Bahamas and Bonaire are probably only one connection apart

i'd suggest go for the best and don't settle for the Bahamas. the diving is not what it used to be, and it was never comparable to Bonaire

Andy, that one extra connection from Miami to Bonaire goes clear across the Caribbean another 1000 miles, EACH way.

It's a honeymoon, counselor... and the diving is great in Freeport, GBI in September.

ya ya...

i'm just saying ... it's worth the extra travel

:wink:

Shore diving in Freeport/Grand Bahama? Where????

No boats and no rental car really does limit you a lot.

Besides Bonaire you could also try Curacao, sometimes the flights are a little easier or cheaper than Bonaire. Try Kura Hulanda Lodge, Habitat, or Sunset Waters. They are all a distance away from town. If you go to any of these places without a car you will mostly stay there, a taxi would be very expensive. They all have shuttles but the normal schedules are not usually convienient, though sometimes you can make special arrangements for cheaper than a taxi would be out there. Habitat and Sunset have good dive shops and shore diving on site. I wouldn't personally choose them for a honeymoon though as the accomodations are rather basic. Kura Hulanda is beautiful and would make a great place for a honeymoon if you want to get away from it all and not leave the resort. I would not suggest it for boat diving as they are very unreliable on running a boat. But if you are sticking to shore diving the house reef there is great, by far the best of them on Curacao. KH doesn't have the easy convienience of 24 tank and locker availability like the other places so you have to plan ahead for any diving outside shop hours.

There is also an op on Curacao called the "Dive Bus" which would enable you to get to other shore diving sites without a car. They are closer to town and would not pick up at the places I already mentioned, so you would need to stay someplace in town or nearby. They are based in the area near Breezes, Lions Dive and the Seaquarium resort (timeshare condos.) You could stay at one of those places and have shore diving on site though IMO not as good as the more remote places. But taking a taxi downtown to shop or eat easily done here. You could also stay at the Marriott which is very nice and is supposed to have a decent shore dive, I think the dive bus would pick up from there, not sure. Or you could stay at the Kura Hulanda Lodge right downtown (sister hotel of Lodge) which would be a really nice honeymoon place, lots of stuff you can walk to, I assume the dive bus would pick up - just no shore diving from there.

You can also get packages split between the KH lodge and hotel and, that might be good in your situation. Shore dive some days at the KH Lodge, then explore the city from the KH Hotel and use the dive bus.

It's a rare place in the Carribean that will have other than 80cf alum tanks. (Though some will also have 63s.) Soft weights are also very rare. Is there a reason you need soft weights, you can use hard weights in pretty much any BC and there are belts you can get with pockets that can take hard weights that are more comfortable than webbing, if comfort is the issue.

Back
Top Bottom