Best Reg for self service?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

keyshunter:
I agree that the Conshelf (and Titan) regs are simple to rebuild. The problem I have had is getting the service kits.

One way to get parts for the Conshelf series is to find someone who has an account with Amron: http://www.amronintl.com/

If you or a friend are in the military or law enforcement, you should be able to order parts fairly painlessly for the XIV. The rebuild parts fit the series from XI to the Titan. If you use the brass 2nd stages, I think all of the parts are interchangeable.

The current conshelf 2nd stage kits kits have parts to fit both the brass and plastic cased conshelf second stages and their derivatives (Conshelf 11,12, 14, 21, 22, 30, Select, SEA, SEA2, SEA4, SE2, SE3, Aquarius, Pinoneer and Pro Diver.)

The first stage Conshelf kit covers the Conshelf 12, 14, 21, 22, Titan, SE, SE2, and SE3 first stages.

How about Apeks? Apeks shares the same kit no matter what reg you have.

As I know, many tech divers prefer Apeks due to a simple design, kit sharing, and part availability.

How about these tools? Is it enough to do DIY for ScubaPro regulators? Is there anything else we need? Thanks for your expertise in advance.

astoolkit.jpg

DA Aquamaster:
Even despite Scubapro's efforts to control parts supplies I'd still consider a Mk 2 Plus R190 or R390 to be the ultimate in simple to service regs.

There are an absolute minimum of parts, no adjustments, very few specialty tools needed and there is only one moving part and two dynamic o-rngs in the first stage, both of which are only subject to intermediate pressure. So it is nearly impossible to screw one up.

Similarly, the second stage has very few parts and a simple downstream poppet design. The only part that usually needs replaced is the soft seat and this can be replaced by removing the inlet body to expose the seat without removing or dissassembling the poppet itself, which in turn means no need to readjust the lever height. That leaves you only with a relatively simple orifice adjustment.

And in truth, parts are not a problem as parts are regularly available on e-bay. On any given day you will most likely see parts kits for the Mk 2, Mk 10, Mk 20, Mk25, R190 and G250 first and second stages. SP uses a very small number of kits for a large number of regulators. When you combine this with the number of SP regs out there, the demand for parts, and the number of offshore dealers, former dealers and liquidating shops meeting that demand, parts supplies are better for SP regs than any other brand despite SP's efforts to control parts supplies.

Specialty tool wise, you only need a multi wrench, an inline adjuster (with IP gauge), a set of o-ring picks, a yoke nut socket (or allen head socket if you have a DIN connection) and a torque wrench (not really a specialty tool, but important and less than $50.00 at the average Ace Hardware).

All of the tools required as well as an excellent book on reg repair are available from
www.scubatools.com

hoosier:
How about these tools? Is it enough to do DIY for ScubaPro regulators? Is there anything else we need? Thanks for your expertise in advance.
]

Looks like you could use a yoke nut socket unless you dive DIN. Also, I found a couple appropriate diameter dowels (a bit less dia, than the blue pick handle) to be very helpful in seating the HP piston o-ring in the mk5/mk10.

Otherwise, you may be better equipped than some smaller SP LDSs! Nice.

Hoosier:

Could you identify the tools for us newbies who don't know a torque wrench from an allen key? Well, maybe I do know those two, but....... :D

Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom