Best reg for a newbie on a tight budget

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The problem with this comment is that it implies that spending more on a reg equals safer diving, and that is simply not true.....

And the problem with this comment is that it also is simply not true. (IMHO) Spending more on a reg almost always = better breathing reg = more relaxed / confident diver (particularly a novice such as myself or OP's girlfriend) = safer diving.

That is the new oceanic advertise price on the gt3 cdx5, they came out with its' replacement the new gt3 cdx5 dvt.

You're right, and personally I think the DVT is a bit of a gimmick anyway.

You guys can debate gear, but this I've learned:

Buy a woman a used item as a gift, you may wind up in the dog house. Gift = new and shiny.

....glass is a man's best friend.... :)

Never buy your girl friend dive gear. If you want to buy her a gift, that is fine. Ear rings, jewelry etc. Buy yourself more dive gear and let her use it. When you change girl friends, you still have gear to loan….Did you come here for advice on regulators or relationships? I forgot.
confused.gif

….but if he wants to jump in his plane and fly out of town with a friend who was not female that reg just wouldn't do. Av gas is expensive these days and face it, if he has to supply the dive gear for his GF, then how is splitting the gas bill going to work for him? What he needs is a dive buddy who can use the same equipment or has his own…..someone who lives in the same town... Let's see now. Who do I know in Houston? Maybe even near Hooks airport...It might serve him well to check user profiles.

That is the new oceanic advertise price on the gt3 cdx5, they came out with its' replacement the new gt3 cdx5 dvt.

My Reg Has DVT ,I have noticed that the new GT3 Has a bling Ring And mine doesnt, But other then that its the same reg.
Its enviro sealed and has the DVT.

scubapro mk11 r395, great regulator low price.. I have a buddy who uses one and its excellent, you wont feel like your giving up on performance when paying the price.

scubapro mk11 r395, great regulator low price.. I have a buddy who uses one and its excellent, you wont feel like your giving up on performance when paying the price.

I agree ,i have a MK 11 Its a good lite wt reg and would be a good choice.
It :Dis also a good perfomer in just about any conditions.

Instead of buying her the regulator you could always go with a gift certificate or one of those VISA gift cards for the amount you're willing to contribute then she could add some cash to the pot and get the reg SHE wants.

Get a cold water reg it doesn't have to be the most expensive one on the market, it can even be used. I purchased my first reg out of a rental fleet, a MK10 and I think both second stages are 250's. I'd be willing to sell it but it needs to be serviced and might need a new pressure gauge, I replaced it a couple years ago with a matched set of Dive Rite G2500ICE's because I got a great deal on them.

This is true to an extent and depends on where you buy your reg. The shops around here generally sell the warm water regs for less than the cold water ones.

Let me tell you a little story my LDS owner told me. Someone comes in to buy a regulator, wants the cheapest one they can get. LDS owner asks where they will be diving and the answer is locally. Tells customer the "cheapest" reg isn't suitable for all of the local diving because it's a warm water reg and recommends a more expensive but still "cheap" cold water reg. Customer says he can't afford it and insists on the warm water reg. LDS owner tells him NOT to take it deeper than 60 feet at the local sites because it WILL free flow in those temperatures. Customer promises he doesn't intend to dive deeper than 60 feet around here. Later date customer makes 100 foot dive with regulator, free flows, fails to deal with it correctly and dies, one of his two buddies on that dive dies trying to help him.

Purchasing the wrong regulator for the local environment was the first step in that accident scenario. Dive accidents are a series of mistakes, not single event catastrophies.
Ber :lilbunny:

Yes, you get the reg that is in your budget for the environment you dive in. If you dive cold water get a cold water reg. You still can find cold water reg for about 290 bucks form a name brand. Cressi ellipse Alaska is one, there are others from the other manufacturers too. I think that is what I understood form mattboy post.

Back
Top Bottom