Best Primary Light for Under $500

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vegan Shark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Looking to get my first light without breaking the bank, but am pretty clueless. Want something cordless, and plan on mainly using it on night dives. Suggestions? Something bright enough to see the action, but not unnecessarily blind animals.

Try this one. Its super bright and is led so it'll last a long time. The price is great. I bought one and I'm truly surprised it doesn't cost $200 or more.

Uh, here's the link I should've posted earlier...
SecurityIng Waterproof 1000 Lumens XM-L2 LED Diving Flashlight UnderWater 150m Depth Bright LED Lighting Lamp Dive Lights Torch for Diving https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CRAARMC/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_kbTIub1QNSKGP

princeton-tec-sector-7-Big-1.jpg

Sector 7 | Princeton Tec

I, for one, loathe those pistol grip lights....

something in the 500 lumen range (even up to 1000), small enough for a light sock - that's my preference.

If in real clear waters, 250 lumen

I used this for a long time before I got my first corded light. DRIS Dive Gear 1000 Lumen Dive Light | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba for under $100.

Very bright, lasts plenty for recreational diving. That 5 hour run-time they list isn't happening, more like 2 hours. However, that's dandy for most people. "C" sized batteries, I change them between dives.

Also, that light is just an oem product with some dive shop's logo on it. Most shops in my town have an identical light with the only difference being the logo engraved on the side.

Here's my take:

The Amazon light - I can't tell what the beam angle is but I've found that a narrow beam angle sux for night dives. Also, no info on battery type - a big concern. Also can't tell if battery is integral rather than replaceable.

+1 for pistol grips suck.

The DRIS takes 3 C batteries (must be pretty big & heavy) and has a 11.5 beam angle (way too narrow).

What I use (and love) for both night diving as well as looking into crevasses and enhancing color during day is this Fantasea Action 700 Lumens Video Light at LeisurePro Only $129 with batteries included. I use one rechargable 18650 (with over/undercharge protective circuits) instead of the CR123's. It has a 75 degree beam angle and multiple brightness levels. The color temp is 6000K. It is small, light, and rugged.

Hog Morph Backup Light - Dive Right in Scuba

Just get one of those with the video head and neoprene sock. Video head will be broad enough to not blind anything, and not too powerful for back scatter as long as the vis is good. Has a few different light settings so you can back off the power if you want. Uses standard rechargeable batteries that are pretty cheap. Get a second battery, that way you can just swap it back over if you do a second dive. No need to get anything more than that.

I tried out the BigBlue TL2800P (primary) and AL1000NP (backup) last weekend and I'm getting one of each (plus another of each with a video head). Nice lights.

Hog Morph Backup Light - Dive Right in Scuba

Just get one of those with the video head and neoprene sock. Video head will be broad enough to not blind anything, and not too powerful for back scatter as long as the vis is good. Has a few different light settings so you can back off the power if you want. Uses standard rechargeable batteries that are pretty cheap. Get a second battery, that way you can just swap it back over if you do a second dive. No need to get anything more than that.

This is a style I like as well. I use an XTAR D06 which is similar but costs about $70 and fits into an Oxycheq light sock. I'm suprised Phil would recommend a pistol grip dinosaur, because he's a photographer and is holding a camera.

If you're doing photography a narrow beam video light like the Hog Morph makes a lot of sense because it does not ruin your shots or video.

Another recommendation for Big Blue Lights, they are awesome!!! I have the old TL2500p and I love it. Best burn time and brightness for the price. Heck you could use the AL1000p as a primary light, and at only 169 it's worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom